Car finance and Credit Card

Hey AFF gang,

Got a question as haven't been in this scenario before. Recently had a secure car financed, and was wondering if this will impact the credit card borrowing power?

Or would this be considered as 2 different 'loan/credit' types, as I have read previously some credit cards had to be cancelled to be able to apply for home loan.

Does anyone know or have experience for this? As I don't want to jeopardise the ability to churn credit cards as a result of the finance for the loan.

I previously read credit card borrowing power is circa 33% of pre tax income.

Question would then be how much does a secure car loan attribute to that, e.g. 10% of pre tax income etc to then hit the 33% borrowing power.

p.s. some facts that might help:

secure car finance - $50k
CC limit - $6400
income - $83k

TIA!

My only experience was that I was asked, by the finance co, to reduce my available credit. Since I never used the total $70k odd credit, I didn't mind.

Car finance was $50k. All this 10 years ago. My income was probably reported as about $100k.

Never been asked to drop a card, however.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and enjoy a better viewing experience, as well as full participation on our community forums.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to enjoy lots of other benefits and discounts!

Back