Getting Australian credit card as foreign resident Australian?

dajop

Enthusiast
I know there's a huge thread on "Strategy to obtain US Amex" for Australian residents to obtain a US based American Express.

Any tips on the opposite "Strategy to obtain Australian based credit card"?

I am based overseas, and as such my employment income, although reasonably sizable (and taxed at comparatively low rate) is effectively zero as far as Australian banks are concerned. Thus I think getting a credit card will be an impossible task, despite having local income sources that put me over the Australian average salary - including rent, dividends and interest. I do have an Amex with a low balance and limit of $16K, but looking for a Visa or MC instead due to coverage.

I suspect I will be SOOL, although perhaps my best chance is through HSBC which I have Premier banking relationship with in Singapore.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and enjoy a better viewing experience, as well as full participation on our community forums.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to enjoy lots of other benefits and discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back