Amex Business Qantas v Platinum rewards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Telezacski

Intern
Hi all

I’m new to the forum and looking to supercharge my points by gathering points through my business.

We love to travel mainly chasing a northern hemisphere winter and it’s fair to say I’m over the back of the plane, hence the points chase.

I’ve looked at both the platinum and Qantas amex cards (have been approved) and I’m torn.

The platinum offer is great and I like the fact I’m not tied to Qantas but I’m concerned I wont generate enough points annually. Through government spent and office rent I’ll probably hit 200,000 points by the time the Amex points are transferred to FF miles (you loose half).

I like the Accor plus membership with platinum but was thinking the qantas card plus Accor is still half the cost of the platinum. The last big advantage of the platinum was lounge access but as we plan business upgrades I understand we get lounge access anyway.

So my thinking is the Qantas card bonus points is the feature that tips it in this cards favour i.e you get triple the points (plus the Qantas points for using the card) if you book and pay using Qantas. Does anyone have any experience with this?

One thing to note about the Amex Qantas Business Rewards Card is that you will earn Qantas Business Rewards (QBR) points through this card that will be transferred to your QBR account on a monthly basis. You can convert QBR points to QFF points by transferring them to your personal QFF account 1:1, however note that QBR-QFF transfers do not count towards attaining Points Club. Something to be aware of if Points Club is important to you.

One thing to note about the Amex Qantas Business Rewards Card is that you will earn Qantas Business Rewards (QBR) points through this card that will be transferred to your QBR account on a monthly basis. You can convert QBR points to QFF points by transferring them to your personal QFF account 1:1, however note that QBR-QFF transfers do not count towards attaining Points Club. Something to be aware of if Points Club is important to you.
Thanks

What’s the benefit of the points club?

Thanks

What’s the benefit of the points club?
All the Points Club benefits are listed here:

It's a two-tiered program that runs alongside the QFF program that is geared towards those who earn lots of QFF points.

Points Club is attained once you earn 150,000 QFF points in a single membership year
Points Club Plus is attained once you earn 350,000 QFF points in a single membership year

There are some quirks with how many points are included and transaction caps etc but all the details are on the link above if you are interested. The relevant bit here for you is that QBR points transferred over to QFF points would be an excluded transaction.

One of the reasons Points Club is popular on AFF is because it allows you to earn Status Credits on Classic Flight Rewards.

Points Club Plus comes with a complimentary Qantas Club membership which is useful if you're QFF Bronze or Silver because it gives you lounge access. Not really that useful if you are QFF Gold since you already Qantas Club access as part of this tier.

Cheers

At this stage I think we are most likely to upgrade flights as opposed to using classic reward flights so my assumption is we still get the points on the original paid flight.

There are often transfer bonuses from Amex MR to QFF of the order of 25% with Platinum Charge if that impacts on your calculations

There are often transfer bonuses from Amex MR to QFF of the order of 25% with Platinum Charge if that impacts on your calculations
Can u please elaborate further?
Post automatically merged:

I really wish they issue a qantas branded platinum charge card. Like Taiwan they have personal platinum EVA air charge card

Can u please elaborate further?
Post automatically merged:

I really wish they issue a qantas branded platinum charge card. Like Taiwan they have personal platinum EVA air charge card
What this is referring to is for the Amex Platinum card, Qantas sometimes offer transfer bonuses when you opt to transfer your Membership Rewards (MR) points from Amex over to QFF points.

Last time this offer was run was around September last year:

So a lot of AFF'ers will hold off transferring points over to Qantas until these kinds of offers run as it gives you more value for each MR point.

These kind of transfer bonuses wouldn't apply for the Amex Qantas Business Rewards card.

What this is referring to is for the Amex Platinum card, Qantas sometimes offer transfer bonuses when you opt to transfer your Membership Rewards (MR) points from Amex over to QFF points.

So a lot of AFF'ers will hold off transferring points over to Qantas until these kinds of offers run as it gives you more value for each MR point.

These kind of transfer bonuses wouldn't apply for the Amex Qantas Business Rewards card.
Thanks for info mate

Good info, I’m assuming though that these aren’t annual offers? I’m guessing amex run specials when they have high points balances and want these off their books.

We travel annually for holidays but not a lot for work so I think I need to target my points gathering of points.

My new concern is I was approved for the platinum card (not activated) first so I need to make sure I am not classed as an existing Amex holder and miss the points.

The cards came with discounted fees so I might see if it’s worth keeping both to avoid the above but get the benefits of the platinum for a year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back