AMEX Membership Reward Points Fraud

muppet

Established Member
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Platinum
Hi all

I just want to alert Amex users to potential fraud on their Membership Rewards points. Last week I had a few dodgy transactions from David Jones that were immediately reversed (I’m assuming whatever 2FA is in place worked to stop those transactions).

However, they were able to make a David Jones purchase by “pay with points” and emptied my ~300,000 balance. Not sure how pay with points works, as of today I couldn’t see the option in DJs checkout process.

Amex refunded all the cash and points, so no harm done - but just keep an eye on your balances.

m

This happened to someone else on the forum via the same method. Seems it is still going. I wonder if the reversed transactions are just proof of details and then pay by points is the way they actually get the points.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and enjoy a better viewing experience, as well as full participation on our community forums.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to enjoy lots of other benefits and discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back