Any likelihood of Qantas returning to Frankfurt?

Just had a quick look at that article - interesting, but without numbers flying SYD-DXB-LHR compared to SYD-SIN-LHR we really have nothing definitive to compare. For those transiting onto somewhere other than LHR then presumably Qantas would make more money carrying them as far as DXB vs carrying them as far as SIN.
Post automatically merged:

Did AJ ever use data to justify the decisions that have left Qantas in the mess that it currently is?

I gather, presumably, Qantas actually has the data to know where they make the most money with their assets.

Did he use data to select Dubai originally?

I go back to my earlier point. Qantas is pretty much profit driven. They ain't dropping Dubai to go back to Singapore to make less money. I'd argue despite their service and PR issues, they are still making money. Chasing the dollar was never AJ's issue. So I'm unsure why you'd logically think QF would dump a route to make less money on another route.

Just had a look to see what options the QF website offer - as you would expect MEL-SIN-LHR-FRA was about the first four offerings, then MEL-DXB-FRA, then some weird ones like MEL-DXB-Istanbul all on EK then a Turkish flight to Frankfurt. Then came MEL-SIN-Helsinki-FRA then MEL-SIN-LHR-Zagreb-FRA! MEL_DXB-FRA on EK metal with QF flight numbers for the win!

Just had a look to see what options the QF website offer - as you would expect MEL-SIN-LHR-FRA was about the first four offerings, then MEL-DXB-FRA, then some weird ones like MEL-DXB-Istanbul all on EK then a Turkish flight to Frankfurt. Then came MEL-SIN-Helsinki-FRA then MEL-SIN-LHR-Zagreb-FRA! MEL_DXB-FRA on EK metal with QF flight numbers for the win!

And yes the website is doing some weird things causing some double posts.

Just had a quick look at that article - interesting, but without numbers flying SYD-DXB-LHR compared to SYD-SIN-LHR we really have nothing definitive to compare. For those transiting onto somewhere other than LHR then presumably Qantas would make more money carrying them as far as DXB vs carrying them as far as SIN.

Did AJ ever use data to justify the decisions that have left Qantas in the mess that it currently is?

It was common knowledge that the DXB route was unpopular. Just read any news article at the time.

Or many of us here who lived through it still remember, it wasn’t that long ago. Also remember that only SYD & MEL had QF metal. Now it’s also BNE & PER, and soon DRW with international departures via SIN. Plus the codeshares with AF, KL and AY.

I still know plenty of people who have zero interest in going via the ME on any airline and won’t even give them a chance.

It’s our preferred way to get to Europe and even looking at next years trip to the US/Caribbean we will probably go via the ME

We still get strange looks when we tell friends we are just popping over the UAE or Qatar for a week or so break like we have done many times.

Different strokes for different folks I guess

It’s our preferred way to get to Europe and even looking at next years trip to the US/Caribbean we will probably go via the ME

Different strokes for different folks I guess
Indeed. Going to FRA via DXB will be a no brainer for me (unless there is a DSC offer at the time of booking). When going to CAI I wouldn't even go via Europe if there was a DSC - probably wouldn't even consider going via JHB either to CAI even if there was a DSC offer.

Indeed. Going to FRA via DXB will be a no brainer for me (unless there is a DSC offer at the time of booking). When going to CAI I wouldn't even go via Europe if there was a DSC - probably wouldn't even consider going via JHB either to CAI even if there was a DSC offer.
Yeah we have flown into FRA a few times and find it a pretty convenient port for what we need. Have flown one stop ex Australia on the big 3 ME airlines over the years and have also tried the 2 stop strategy with the ME3 via Asia and all good flights.

Germany was mentioned in this article at the CDG route launch:

“There’s a whole bunch of markets like Greece and Germany that we’ve flown to before on a connecting basis that we’ll look at (for direct flights),” Wallace added.

Germany was mentioned in this article at the CDG route launch:

“There’s a whole bunch of markets like Greece and Germany that we’ve flown to before on a connecting basis that we’ll look at (for direct flights),” Wallace added.

There are some options I can think of like Greece (Aegean), Turkey (Turkish), both of which are enroute to Europe and have host airlines that have good European connectivity. Ofcourse they are in the wrong alliance. Then again, that didn't stop Qantas from partnering with Air France/KLM.

I do wonder if QF could rely on JetStar and the partnerships they form to close that gap. For instance, a partnership with RyanAir or EasyJet from a European hub like ATH to get people to Europe.

I could see why they ditched DXB. Yes, EK had a good selection of flights to Europe, but EK is basically the only airline at the airport. Whereas with LHR it's a truly global airport hosting all of Europes major airlines. There are other issues I suspect with connecting at DXB like the quality of the airport, lounges and other things that might make passengers feel uncomfortable but for which I will not go into lest I open a can of worms. The other issue I see here is one of $$$. That is, how did the arrangement work with EK when QF was operating flights to Europe via DXB? Did EK keep most of the money as they were the connecting partner bringing them to Europe or was it Qantas since they were the ones that delivered the passengers to them?

Indeed, when looking at flights operated by EK, the first thing I'll see is if I can get marketed by QF for the status credits and points (pl

Yes - the issue with DXB is that it is so much more modern and luxurious than the pathetic offerings of QF and other airlines that it reminded customers there are better choices out there instead of remaining chained to QF and other legacy carriers.

The logical answer would be to route more traffic to HKG and partner with fellow oneworld member CX.

Yes - the issue with DXB is that it is so much more modern and luxurious than the pathetic offerings of QF and other airlines that it reminded customers there are better choices out there instead of remaining chained to QF and other legacy carriers.

The logical answer would be to route more traffic to HKG and partner with fellow oneworld member CX.

The EK lounges are nice but DXB itself is a coughhole. Partly why they’re replacing the whole airport with DWC.

I’d definitely put SIN above DXB comparing airports.

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

If DXB is a coughhole then I'd hate to hear what you'd label any of the Australian major airports...!

Quieter, less chaotic, more walkable…

My comments were in relation to QF’s choice of Euro hub, but now you mention it, the main problem with DXB is scale. It’s too big and it hasn’t accommodated for it like SIN/DOH has. A mega airport shouldn’t feel mega, it should be calm and walkable. Not be the Costco of airports. In this case bigger isn’t better.

For the record I find SYD T1, once through security, quite pleasant and airy.

Quieter, less chaotic, more walkable…

My comments were in relation to QF’s choice of Euro hub, but now you mention it, the main problem with DXB is scale. It’s too big and it hasn’t accommodated for it like SIN/DOH has. A mega airport shouldn’t feel mega, it should be calm and walkable. Not be the Costco of airports. In this case bigger isn’t better.

For the record I find SYD T1, once through security, quite pleasant and airy.
But SYD T1 doesn't have the ambiance of a muezzin leading the call to prayer (at 4.30am when you have missed your connection and are trying to get some sleep) :)

But I do understand what you are saying about DXB - it could have been designed a bit better for people that don't have lounge access so have to keep wandering about or do whatever they do.

What Oneworld needs desperately is a carrier based centrally in the EU, rather than all along the far edges as present.

Then Qantas could happily fly into that port and passengers connect easily to Oneworld through the rest of Europe rather than having to bounce off somewhere around the edge or for London, backtrack.

Personally, that’s one of the main attractions for me of QR or SQ ( soon, TK) my current long haul rides to Europe and environs. One stop and you can spear straight into the European port you want to be in.
[

If DXB is a coughhole then I'd hate to hear what you'd label any of the Australian major airports...!
Having been to DXB, I wouldn’t go that far. There are very few airports I have been to which I would apply such a moniker to: Frankfurt and Singapore would be the only two that come to my mind. Which I think is why Qantas won’t make a comeback to FRA

-RooFlyer88

At the end of the day it is an airport - unless you are Tom Hanks you won't be there for more than a few hours.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back