Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Platinum
SkyTeam
Elite Plus
Star Alliance
Gold
I have a Bankwest Qantas Platinum card. I noticed today that the entire amount of points I had earned for my spend on this card in May was just cancelled from my QFF account. My account is still open and in good standing, and there were only a few small refunds last month, so this doesn't really make sense and Bankwest hasn't provided any explanation for reversing those points.

Any other Bankwest customers notice this?

Assuming it's an error, who should I contact - QFF or Bankwest?

I have a Bankwest Qantas Platinum card. I noticed today that the entire amount of points I had earned for my spend on this card in May was just cancelled from my QFF account. My account is still open and in good standing, and there were only a few small refunds last month, so this doesn't really make sense and Bankwest hasn't provided any explanation for reversing those points.

Any other Bankwest customers notice this?

Assuming it's an error, who should I contact - QFF or Bankwest?
The same happened to me. I think it’s a reversal of doubling up the points this month. The points credited on my June statement also included points from my May statement which had already been credited.

Nevertheless it’s poor form to just take the points back without any explanation or notification.

The same happened to me. I think it’s a reversal of doubling up the points this month. The points credited on my June statement also included points from my May statement which had already been credited.

I just checked my last couple of statements and this doesn't seem to have happened to me, although the amounts of points credited in those months don't exactly match what's on my statements either. Wonder what's going on.

I have had the same happen today too. The last few statements seem to be in order, yet for some reason the May points have been cancelled. Very odd.

I contacted Bankwest who were unable to advise the reason for the cancelled points and then directed me to reach out to Qantas. So I called Qantas and after the customer service rep went away and looked into it further he advised that Bankwest made an error in issuing double points to some customers this month. Apparently those impacted will receive an email from Bankwest in the coming days to explain. Hope that helps.

Edit - if what the Qantas rep said to me is correct, then something is off with Bankwests calculations. The points they cancelled should have remained as is according to my maths. Will await the email and see what that says.

Last edited:

Nevertheless it’s poor form to just take the points back without any explanation or notification.
exactly the same with mine, lost the entire May points earnt.

I have the same issue and I am waiting for a real person on their chat now. I don;t hold out much hope of getting connected.

I never really understood how on each statement it shows how much you earned, but then they pay you a different amount and retain some points that show as opening balance on next months statement.

But May's was unusual.
Capture.PNG

Normally that credited amount would be a big chunk of the Opening + Accrued. But in May it was 0 paid on the statement, but they actually credited the points. They probably credited the correct amount of points but they have not taken them off of the accrued amount so I suspect that it will all resolve next month when they pay May's points and June's. But certainly heavy handed taking back a double payment that they have not made yet - especially when it seems the points they credited were the right amount. Additionally without any warning or explanation.

It makes me wonder if Bankwest is having liquidity problems and want to delay paying Qantas for the points.

On my QF account it says "Cancelled ... On Accrual".

Does any one understand why they just don't pay the points earned in the statement period?

I can see now that I check carefully I was double paid the points so the adjustment they made is correct. It can be hard to follow the Qantas activity statement because it breaks thing up by category and not date. Selecting the sort by date button does not do anything for me.

Received email from Bankwest today saying they doubled the points in May so will deduct in June.
Except that they already did one week ago.
If nothing else this is really poor customer service.

Yeah, not sure why they were so eager to reverse the points before sending out communication to customers. That's just generating additional customer service load for themselves and Qantas with people asking why the points were reversed because they hadn't gotten the email yet.

Maybe they're worried they'll be pulling peoples QFF accounts into negatives, so they wanted to reverse it ASAP before people spend it?

I got the email about the reversal, and haven't had the points reversed yet. But my statemet arrived today showing the -42000 reversal.

Frustrating as I had spend the points on flights and my balance is now 2000... I'm now waiting for it to hit the negative...

I cancelled my Bankwest card as a result - I was fine with them moving to being 100% online, but if they can't get things like this right... There are lots of other options.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and enjoy a better viewing experience, as well as full participation on our community forums.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to enjoy lots of other benefits and discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back