Best use of Qantas points for Canada

Roland65

Hi, we are travelling to Canada and want to travel premium economy or business class. We have points. Is it best to buy an economy ticket and upgrade? Can I guarantee an upgrade. How do I improve the chance of an upgrade?

While I can’t answer your question, to get better info from those who know; what is your status level, and which frequent flyer scheme are you with?

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Hi, we are travelling to Canada and want to travel premium economy or business class. We have points. Is it best to buy an economy ticket and upgrade? Can I guarantee an upgrade. How do I improve the chance of an upgrade?
I am a bronze ff and member of the Qantas Club
I note you state "we". So 2 or more passengers?
On QF upgrades are know as the "upgrade lottery". International long haul upgrades are not guaranteed. Even for those with top QF status, Result of the QF upgrade lottery can be found at at checkin.

If you want to fly in PE or Business buy a ticket, with cash or QF points.

QF fly Sydney to Vancouver.

As a tip for your flights beyond Vancouver, you can also redeem Qantas points on WestJet. The agreement only allows for economy redemptions on WestJet, but you can buy upgrades during check-in and they're often very cheap.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back