Business Accelerator Card - 2 points per dollar (albeit in "Choices")

Status
Not open for further replies.

beardoc

Established Member
Qantas
Platinum
I'm just wondering - was having a look around the American Express Australia site and came across this:

https://www212.americanexpress.com/dsmlive/dsm/int/au/en/personal/chooseacard/allcards/businessacceleratorcard_cm.do?vgnextoid=506305387f1b5110VgnVCM100000defaad94RCRD&page=CM

The American Express Business Accelerator Card

You need an ABN, but it is:

$160 Annual Fee
55 days interest free
and 2 Membership Rewards Points per dollar (in the "Choices" program, not in Ascent)

Unfortunately, this doesn't mean you can convert for frequent flyer points. The problem is that this card comes with Membership Rewards "Choices", and not "Ascent" so you can't transfer points to Krisflyer, SPG, etc. I can't see whether you can pay an extra fee and get Ascent rewards. Maybe I should give Amex a call, but I doubt it.

Just thought that people might like to know about the card.

Has anyone has any luck accruing points in Choices, and then transferring them to Ascent in the future?

oh, blow, thanks for pointing this out. I have one of these and just tried on the amex website but won't let me transfer to a flyer scheme.

You could spend 25000 to get 50000 points then gift to an Ascent member for a fee of $250. (Max 50000 points p.a.) I plan to do this with my card and transfer to wifes amex as she has Ascent on hers.

Search " Gifting of American Express Points " as I can't post a link yet being a new member.

Choices members can access flights through the current Travel Key promotions. Eg 128000 points Brisbane - London or Brisbane - Bangkok 47000 points which seems okay if you divide by 2 to get your spend needed.

We are using this card with no surcharges from our local supplier under an arangement between them and amex. Other Cards would be charged around 1%. This means we can charge around $4000 a week to the card with no surcharges and get 8000 Choices points a week.

Compared to no points at all I am sure we will find a use for our lowly Choices points some how.

You could spend 25000 to get 50000 points then gift to an Ascent member for a fee of $250. (Max 50000 points p.a.) I plan to do this with my card and transfer to wifes amex as she has Ascent on hers.

Although, you could get 37500 point by doing the same spend on an Ascent card (like a Rewards Maximiser) - so essentially this way you're buying an "extra 12500 points for $250".

We are using this card with no surcharges from our local supplier under an arangement between them and amex. Other Cards would be charged around 1%. This means we can charge around $4000 a week to the card with no surcharges and get 8000 Choices points a week.

I'd love to know how your supplier got this deal and what their merchant rate actually is.

"
Although, you could get 37500 point by doing the same spend on an Ascent card (like a Rewards Maximiser) - so essentially this way you're buying an "extra 12500 points for $250"."

We were told that only this amex through Campbells is free of surcharges so any Qantas or other Amex would have a surcharge on it. I can see now the best use is not to transfer to Ascent but to collect the points in Choices and utilize them there to avoid the fine.

"I'd love to know how your supplier got this deal and what their merchant rate actually is.
"

I can't post a link yet, but if you google Campbell's Cash and Carry the ad for the card is on their home page. We have never used other cards there because of the surcharge, we were told by our manager that because they are getting paid by amex straight away instead of 2 week terms they will wipe the surcharge which I think was around 1%. I assume they get some sort of kick back from Amex for selling the cards as they are very keen to push them

""

I can't post a link yet, but if you google Campbell's Cash and Carry the ad for the card is on their home page. We have never used other cards there because of the surcharge, we were told by our manager that because they are getting paid by amex straight away instead of 2 week terms they will wipe the surcharge which I think was around 1%. I assume they get some sort of kick back from Amex for selling the cards as they are very keen to push them

Ah, I see. Yes, I would imagine it would be very worthwhile in your situation to stick with this deal then! Any other cards would end up costing you much more and wouldn't be worth it.

""

Could you let me know which Cambells Cash and Carry you use as the one that i use charge a c/card fee

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and enjoy a better viewing experience, as well as full participation on our community forums.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to enjoy lots of other benefits and discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back