Citi Plat annual fee waiver

Status
Not open for further replies.

mitchy123

Hello Fellow AFF'rs - I managed to get a fee waiver for my citi plat card this year, though the fee isnt due for more than a month. I fully intended on cancelling the card, and so the points and the balance were 0, which is probably why they were more willing to waive the fee.

Instead of just not charging the fee, Citibank have transferred $250 in credit to my account to offset the charge when it does go though. Is this standard practice? Strikes me as odd.

I am wondering what is stopping me from spending the 250, and then cancelling the card before the annual fee falls due? I am awfully tempted......

Well I'm ringing next week to cancel mine-see what they say.

Instead of just not charging the fee, Citibank have transferred $250 in credit to my account to offset the charge when it does go though. Is this standard practice? Strikes me as odd.

Normal practice.

I am wondering what is stopping me from spending the 250, and then cancelling the card before the annual fee falls due? I am awfully tempted......

Who know's - this is Citibank, but maybe they would reverse it during account closure.

Rang today to cancel.Not offered anything.
However told that i have to ring back monday as my billing cycle ends tomorrow so they could not cancel today!:confused:

Thanks for the feedback.

May hang onto the card, as it is a free platinum card (for this year). My main concern with citibank is the security of the card. If a suspicious transaction goes through, you really have to hassle to get a result (in my experience).

Rang back today and no problem cancelling except that I was put through to a Customer Relationship manager.the first thing she said was my colleague tells me you want a fee free card,well drron I see that you were to be offered that for the next year.
Really?:D
Then got offered zero% balance transfer,then free transfer of points to QFF.
Still cancelled.It appears the reason for not being able to cancel on friday afternoon was POETS day.

Yeah, fair enough. I didnt get the free QFF transfer (though didnt put up a fight after the annual fee waiver offer.....). Maybe when the QFF fee falls due (which has gone up to $49 now) I will threaten to cancel again.

What is POETS day?????

Yeah, fair enough. I didnt get the free QFF transfer (though didnt put up a fight after the annual fee waiver offer.....). Maybe when the QFF fee falls due (which has gone up to $49 now) I will threaten to cancel again.

What is POETS day?????

Never mind.......just googled it. :D

Has anyone had any luck getting the Qantas sweep fee waived on a fee-free Platinum, or is that asking for a little too much?

nor here.
I've always assumed that there are no benefits with this card other than annual fee free and the rewards earn.

Has anyone had any luck getting the Qantas sweep fee waived on a fee-free Platinum, or is that asking for a little too much?

I've never been charged the Qantas sweep fee on the fee-free Platinum - touchwood.

Thanks for the feedback.

May hang onto the card, as it is a free platinum card (for this year). My main concern with citibank is the security of the card. If a suspicious transaction goes through, you really have to hassle to get a result (in my experience).

In my experience they have been excellent and very proactive with suspicious transactions actually.

Plus very good with charge backs to badly behaved retainers :)

never been charged a sweep fee either.. but if i ever need to rationalize the number of cards i've collected, it would probably be the first or second to go.

I told a Citibank CS rep the other day that the new Woolworths Qantas direct sweep card has just been released which is 1:1 points, uncapped with an $89 annual fee. She seemed genuinely interested & said she would send the feedback to Citi senior management. I'm remaining positive that this results in something.

I'll be trying the "make it free or I cancel" ultimatum next month. I'll also be mentioning the woolworths card.

I'll be trying the "make it free or I cancel" ultimatum next month. I'll also be mentioning the woolworths card.

does anyone have Citi Plat annual fee waiver for being a citigold cleint deal? i wonder what will happen if you dont maintain $100k+ in loans or investments when the card annual fee is due next year will they still waive the $250 fee every year or charge it to the card account?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and enjoy a better viewing experience, as well as full participation on our community forums.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to enjoy lots of other benefits and discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back