Citi select - bonus points dispute

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duffa

Established Member
Just received my bonus points from new application for Citi Select ($700 card).
I applied on 6/9/11 and was certain the bonus offer was 70,000 points at that time but they only posted 50,000.
I know it has now gone up to 80k for new applications, but does anyone remember the offer back in August/September?
I rang them and they confirmed it was only 50,000
Sadly, I didn't take a screen shot of the bonus offer, or if I did, I can't find it.

Just received my bonus points from new application for Citi Select ($700 card).
I applied on 6/9/11 and was certain the bonus offer was 70,000 points at that time but they only posted 50,000.
I know it has now gone up to 80k for new applications, but does anyone remember the offer back in August/September?
I rang them and they confirmed it was only 50,000
Sadly, I didn't take a screen shot of the bonus offer, or if I did, I can't find it.

I did a spreadsheet of various cards etc and their bonuses on the 17th August and can confirm the info then was 50 000 points.

I did a spreadsheet of various cards etc and their bonuses on the 17th August and can confirm the info then was 50 000 points.

That is most helpful, thank you, lmere.
Obviously got myself a bit mixed up with the other offers.

:D

Welcome on board Duffa to Citi Select. Which points plan are you going with?

Welcome on board Duffa to Citi Select. Which points plan are you going with?
I can't look past SQ at this stage. Too good a deal at 1.33.
I'll hold them in account until I need to book flights.
I've pretty much said bye bye to QF! Not least because of 0.5 from next April.

I can't look past SQ at this stage. Too good a deal at 1.33.
I'll hold them in account until I need to book flights.
I've pretty much said bye bye to QF! Not least because of 0.5 from next April.

Pity about the huge "taxes" that you need to pay when redeeming SQ award bookings - nearly double Qantas!

Sure the taxes are not insignificant but when you want to redeem in business or first you rarely get dust so off you go at significant saving to a cash priced ticket. In the last dozen redemptions I have only had to use Qantas once to avoid a 12 hour layover in Singapore when getting back to Australia.
Availability is the true key rather than say $1,000 of fees compared with a $10,000 or $15,000 cash priced ticket. No one likes high redemption costs but you also can pick up Saver redemptions that can make you feel so happy.

Pity about the huge "taxes" that you need to pay when redeeming SQ award bookings - nearly double Qantas!
Maybe so - but far less points requried by SQ to redeem flts.

For example - QF MEL-HKG-PEK 98,000pts - SQ MEL-SIN-PEK 52,500 pts J Saver - or 37,600 pts J saver MEL-SIN-CAN then connect to PEK - and then throw in the availability component - SQ J savers great availability most months - QF pain in the cough availability IMHO.

Not my experience. I left Qantas primarily because of taxes.
Just redeemed two J returns to Europe on SQ - $800 taxes each. Used the last of my QF points for two more J returns to Europe, same dates - $1000 taxes each. The slightly lower taxes are a consideration for me but not the deal breaker.

Can someone with experience clarify the bonus point sign up deal for me - Citibank gave me two opposing answers.
If I sign up to QFF direct sweep I pay an extra $49 and receive 50K QFF points. If I use the rewards program do I get 50K rewards points and therefore 37K FF points or 50K FF of my choice. If it is the first option would I be better off choosing QFF direct sweep and then once the bonus points post change back to the rewards program? If I value the points at 4c in each program 50,000 QFF = $2000 and 37,000 other = $1480 therefore $520 extra value for $49.
I use a mixture of FF programs so that is not an issue. I eventually want this card as a rewards card not Qantas sweep. Am I missing something major in this calculation?

Yes Ronicat you are missing a key piece in the Citi Puzzle!
You really cannot switch from QF to non QF on one card so if you select QF that is it.
If you go other then you can decide where you want the points to go based on the list which includes Kris and Asiana.
i have Citi hold the points and finally after warehousing them to avoid Kris 3 year expiry I transfer them.
If you have a bit of spare time have a speed read of Frequent Flyer Fiend and the Game in popular blogs as it may guide you a bit on your FF trips.

Thanks Cove. My question came up because during the application process the csr mentioned that if I chose the Qantas rewards program the points would sweep directly into QFF on the statement date and therefore this would be the best time to change rewards programs if I wished to change to the standard rewards program without losing points.
The citibank website gives the following info on the Citi Qantas Rewards page "To opt out of the Citibank Qantas Rewards, simply call the applicable CitiPhone number above and ask them to transfer you to the Citibank Rewards Program and take advantage of the wide range of benefits available" which along with the CSR's comment prompted my question. Obviously you would forfeit the $49 fee but I thought this might be justified in the initial bonus points.
If they are difficult to deal with it might not be worth the effort as I want to eventually use the rewards program (esp as I have been following your blog) but thought it might be a last big top up on Qantas.

After reading some of the points redeeming benefits, I completed the app for Select. I feel that Citi's service is the worst in the industry and I detest offshore call centres, but the points benefits seemed worthwhile. I had a call to confirm income. During the call, the agent asked who my other cards were from. i said I had a Citi business card but would likely cancel it once I got the Select. He said in that case, it wasn't necessary to confirm any financials and would just upgrade my account.

Sounds good.. but let's ask a few questions first. "As my card spend is high,and if I hold certain Citi accounts, I believe you can rebate some of the card fee?"

"Sorry, Sir, that is not possible."

" Can you confirm wen I'll receive the current advertised 50000 point bonus?"

"Sorry, sir, you won't receive the bonus because you already are a Citi customer and the bonus is only for new customers."

" The website says, under Select, new cardholders. That does not mean new customers to Citibank, it means new Select cardholders."

He disagreed and reconfirmed no bonus and no fee rebae.

I told him that in that case, I would not proceed with my application. I asked him to get a sales or marketing person to call me about this issue. He started to give me a 13 number to call. I told him that if they wanted the business, they would call me. Otherwise they could cancel my accounts.

Maybe I'm a bit unreasonable regarding Citi, but the service is so poor and so aggressively negative, while reading the rosy script, that if they don't want to deal like every other company, they can keep their cards. Bad luck for both of us, I guess.

Don't give up if you are after the Kris Flyer version of the card. It is a great card.....I just zoomed past a major milestone and I remain stoked with the 1.33 points per dollar domestically and you get 3.33 real points per dollar if you use it internationally.
The back office is very,very unusual.
Keep the Citi Business card for 1.25 earn on QF per dollar on Visa as well if you have largish business bills to pay.

" Can you confirm wen I'll receive the current advertised 50000 point bonus?"

"Sorry, sir, you won't receive the bonus because you already are a Citi customer and the bonus is only for new customers."

" The website says, under Select, new cardholders. That does not mean new customers to Citibank, it means new Select cardholders."

Maybe I'm a bit unreasonable regarding Citi, but the service is so poor and so aggressively negative, while reading the rosy script, that if they don't want to deal like every other company, they can keep their cards. Bad luck for both of us, I guess.

I upgraded from plat, no bonus points, no rebate and I didn't have the minimum income so I was happy to pass up those benefits as they outweigh the advantages. There doesn't seem to be any negotiation with Citi :(

Applied for Select Card last Tuesday and was fully approved Friday - pretty quick turn around considering I am self employed. Haven't received and activated the card yet. Hopefully it will continue to be smooth sailing. Heading overseas next Thursday so hopefully it arrives in time.

Ronicat be aware thar internationally the earn rate for points is very good but they can charge you a 3.3% exchange fee so it can work out as one net Kris point for one cent.
It's your call on paying the fee versus no points and no fees on the 28 degree card.

Thanks for the warning Cove. Mostly I want it in my hot little hand so that I can pay the normal bills that will be due whilst away on a better card than the one I currently have, plus as back up in case something goes wrong with another account. After having EQRCC closed on me with no warning I am probably a bit paranoid about what finance companies can do with no apparent reason.
I hope Citibank's postage and activation is as quick as their approval was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and enjoy a better viewing experience, as well as full participation on our community forums.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to enjoy lots of other benefits and discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.

Staff online

Back