Status
Not open for further replies.

fantasy86dj

Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Gold
Good afternoon !!

Has the UK entirely converted to chip and pin or are there still places that allow purchased on a card without the chip (i.e. the Citibank transaction debit card). Every one of my other bank accounts have chips in the card and Citibank does not. It's been ages since I went to UK and am wondering what people's experiences are using this card without the chip.

Good afternoon !!

Has the UK entirely converted to chip and pin or are there still places that allow purchased on a card without the chip (i.e. the Citibank transaction debit card). Every one of my other bank accounts have chips in the card and Citibank does not. It's been ages since I went to UK and am wondering what people's experiences are using this card without the chip.

I find it INCREDIBLE that Citi would implement a fee-free transaction product with only the old-school Visa Debit cards... no chips, and no paywave

I was in the UK and across Europe at the end of last year and the start of this year - I found that some places would take my AUS issued chip cards with PIN and others would swipe etc.

Just like here where some terminals won't take your chip (especially Amex) and they have to swipe. But either way the terminals can do both.

You should be fine using the Citibank card over there, especially in ATMs that they are more likely to have the ability to read the magnetic stripe.

Swipe works in a lot of places but be aware that id will be requested and you may be looked at like a criminal... that said, the US still has many cards that aren't chip so it isn't an unusual occurance.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using AustFreqFly

According to the Visa website "All merchants displaying a Visa logo are required to accept any form of Visa payment that is presented to them. In the UK, this means merchants will continue to accept foreign-issued, non-chip and PIN cards as before."
I too have a Citibank Visa Debit card with no chip and this was my experience earlier this year in UK & Europe. Some merchants will ask for ID (I had no ID at a Zara store in London and had to pay cash) but it needn't be a passport. My Australian drivers licence was sufficient.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and enjoy a better viewing experience, as well as full participation on our community forums.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to enjoy lots of other benefits and discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.

Recent Posts

Back