CitiRewards -> AsiaMiles - transfer time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wafliron

Established Member
Has anyone transferred their CitiRewards points to AsiaMiles before? If so, approx how long did it take for the points to appear in your AsiaMiles account?

Re: MR points -> AsiaMiles transfer time?

Let us know how long it takes :)

Will do - not a good start though:

Rang the Select team about 5.30 and spoke to a CSR who immediately had me somewhat worried (unusual for the Select team CSRs) - it took me about two minutes to explain what I wanted to do (not hard!), and he then spent several minutes going on about how many reward points I had (a reaction I've had before, but this went way beyond casual rapport building and well into unprofessional territory).

Anyway, he then informed me that the rewards department is only open 9 - 5, but he thought he could put through the transfer with the help of a supervisor. With hindsight I should've stopped him there :( Put me on hold for a few minutes, came back, requested the number of points I wanted to transfer, and 30 seconds later said "OK, all done sir". A few seconds of silence from me, then: "Err... don't you need my AsiaMiles membership info to do the transfer?". Well, that stumped him - he said the system hadn't asked for it. He then spent five minutes fumbling around before giving me a "transfer receipt number" and telling me he'd call me back once he spoke to the rewards team in the morning.

No way is that happening - I'm calling them myself so I don't have to deal with this guy again! The bad thing is that the points have actually been deducted from my account - if he'd messed the entire thing up it wouldn't have been a big deal, I would've just re-done the transfer in the morning direct with the rewards team. Now, I can see myself having to go round in circles to try and get the points back or get them transferred, and I need them with CX ASAP!

That's not good. Please let us know the outcome.

Better results today, although I still don't have my AsiaMiles:

Rang Citi back this morning and spoke to a more typical Select team CSR (i.e. very good, and much better than yesterday's guy). He was also able to sort out the problem without having to put me through to the rewards team, which was great.

Anyway, it turned out that yesterday's CSR managed to enter the number of points I wanted to transfer into the AsiaMiles membership number field! Hence how he was able to submit the transfer request without asking for it. Luckily today's CSR was quickly able to locate the transfer in their system, identify this as being the issue, and cancel it. No immediate refund of points but he assured me they'd be back in a few days - assuming they turn up without further hassle I can live with that.

He then submitted a new transfer request with the correct details this time, which has now been sent off for processing. I asked him how long it would take for the AsiaMiles to be credited, and he was very frank: the official policy is up to two weeks, but they normally take about two days and he only very rarely sees them take more than three.

Very glad to hear that - now to play the waiting game. I'll report back with the eventual transfer time once the points reach my AsiaMiles account.

Mrscove received a call from Citi this week and immediately got very worried. It turned out that they were wanting to sell her a new product rather than reduce her Qantas points earning that has been running hot over the last few weeks.
Asia Miles should only take 2 to 3 days but Citi could take up to 28 days according to their terms and conditions for my card.

Success! The AsiaMiles showed up sometime between 11pm yesterday and 1am today, which is really a very good turnaround time - a bit less than 36 hours from when the second, correct, transfer request was submitted. My CitiRewards points from the first, incorrect transfer were refunded yesterday evening too, without any further hassle / calls, which is nice.

Typically, though, the CX flight I wanted to redeem these miles on has disappeared sometime over the past 3 days :-/ Time to see if CX will be nice and release a seat for me.

Great result. What route are you looking at?

Originally I was looking for HKG-JFK CX F, but as per my earlier posts that award seat disappeared while I was waiting for the points.

I've instead just booked HKG-xORD (CX 77W F) and xORD-DCA (AA S83 dom F) via AsiaMiles - so I'll be able to tick CX F off my bucket list :D

To complete the trip I also just booked:
- MEL-xSYD (QF 738 J) and xSYD-HKG (QF 388 F) via QFF (JASA and FASA respectively)
- EWR-xSIN (SQ 345 J) and xSIN-MEL (SQ 388 J) via KrisFlyer - two more ticks on the bucket list, flying the world's longest non-stop flight and on the unique all-J SQ A345 :D

I was quite irritated about the HKG-JFK flight disappearing at first, but it turned out to be a blessing in disguise. It meant I discovered CX offered F to ORD (I'd thought LAX/SFO/JFK only) so I could route straight to Washington on the same day (wouldn't have been possible same-day if flying into JFK, and I didn't want to do xSFO or xLAX to Washington - the more CX F the better!). Likewise, the flight time ex-HKG actually suits me much better on HKG-ORD. And finally, it meant I could snag a FASA SYD-HKG - originally I was going to have to do a WP seat-release-request and book it as a classic award, but a FASA on the same day I wanted became available literally a couple of hours ago!

So, great result all round :D

Yep that sounds like a wonderful trip that you will have! How do you get to earn so many miles!!!

Those runs should be good fun wafliron. It is good to see you working on bucket list items using your points.

Yep that sounds like a wonderful trip that you will have! How do you get to earn so many miles!!!

I've been having an affair with Cove's girlfriend... although I think she likes him better, he talks to her over the phone whereas I only communicate with her online.

(if that was too obtuse, I'm talking about paying tax - Cove refers to the IVR lady on the ATO payment phone line as his girlfriend :))

Those runs should be good fun wafliron. It is good to see you working on bucket list items using your points.

Yeah, I can't wait. Have you done CX F? It's great being able to make redemptions like this and not worry too much about the points cost, whether it's a "good value" redemption, etc!

No I have only travelled CX in Business class. I have several First segments booked with QF and BA as I plan trips out a bit.
We do need to talk with the WACA to get test match cricket tickets in England to tick off a bucket list item.
CX was really good.
Have been running up points despite doing lots of segments on points. I did buy two trips in America in coach on Expedia and coach was cheap as chips but very basic compared with a J flight on Cathay or SQ.

Last edited:
No I have only travelled CX in Business class. I have several First segments booked with QF and BA as I plan trips out a bit.
We do need to talk with the WACA to get test match cricket tickets in England to tick off a bucket list item.
CX was really good.

Goodo - I'll let you know what CX F is like after the flights. Enjoy the BA and QF F!

Have been running up points despite doing lots of segments on points. I did buy two trips in America in coach on Expedia and coach was cheap as chips but very basic compared with a J flight on Cathay or SQ.

What?? Why?! :)

It was for work and I was travelling with a staff member.
Yes I should not have done it but it was a bit like a ride on the Big blue bus in Los Angeles going up to Santa Monica for a dollar. Like it was really cheap!

It was for work and I was travelling with a staff member.
Yes I should not have done it but it was a bit like a ride on the Big blue bus in Los Angeles going up to Santa Monica for a dollar. Like it was really cheap!

I guess you have to go back to Y sometimes so you continue to appreciate how nice J and F is!

I hope it raises my appreciation for the finest things in travel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and enjoy a better viewing experience, as well as full participation on our community forums.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to enjoy lots of other benefits and discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.

Recent Posts

Back