Closing Amex

flightsnbites

Hey team,

I am closing my amex Explorer card as my wife has the Amex Platinum. I still have about 45k points left over, does anyone have any tips or ideas on where/what to do with them before closing the account?

Cheers,

That’s a very “personal choice” question. It’s not enough points for much in itself, so do you have points where that a top would be useful? Maybe virgin, otherwise, as 22k VA points will probably get you J to somewhere, or near enough.

We currently have 380k citi points and just shy of 400k amex points on the Platinum, so open to anything at this stage. We don't have any upcoming flights etc as we just dumped most of our points on return to Europe next year. I think flexibility would be ideal, or even considered hotel transfer for our upcoming euro trip...

Hey team,

I am closing my amex Explorer card as my wife has the Amex Platinum. I still have about 45k points left over, does anyone have any tips or ideas on where/what to do with them before closing the account?

Cheers,
Personally I'd move them over to Velocity. Won't expire and you'd pretty likely be able to use them at some point

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and enjoy a better viewing experience, as well as full participation on our community forums.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to enjoy lots of other benefits and discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back