Credit VA flights to AC

MG1

Qantas
Gold
Virgin
Platinum
Hello,
With the upcoming devaluation of the Velocity Frequent Flyer program, I was considering whether it's worthwhile, or possible, to credit future VA flights to AC's Aeroplan program? Could anyone offer any assistance/tips on this? It looks like there are multiple levels of lifetime status too, which gives me something to aim for. Having *A lifetime status of Gold would be something great to obtain.

Taking a look at the Aeroplan website, if flying domestically on VA (let's say SYD-MEL for arguement's sake), they class that as 8,000 points. Using their multipliers, it looks like this will earn 4,000 points for a Choice flight and 12,000 points for a Business flight. It looks like the same number of status credits (SQM) are earnt. Therefore, to reach their 50K level (for *A lounge access), it would take just over 4 business flights to reach - is that right; it seems a bit low?

Is there also a spend component and a minimum number of AC flights/segments?

Also, if you take connecting flights, let's say HBA-MEL-SYD, do you get twice as many status credits and points (the Aeroplan website lists, HBA-MEL, MEL-SYD, and HBA-SYD all as 8k points)?

Any confirmation, from those with experience with this, would be great.
Regards.

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Hello,
With the upcoming devaluation of the Velocity Frequent Flyer program, I was considering whether it's worthwhile, or possible, to credit future VA flights to AC's Aeroplan program? Could anyone offer any assistance/tips on this? It looks like there are multiple levels of lifetime status too, which gives me something to aim for. Having *A lifetime status of Gold would be something great to obtain.

Taking a look at the Aeroplan website, if flying domestically on VA (let's say SYD-MEL for arguement's sake), they class that as 8,000 points. Using their multipliers, it looks like this will earn 4,000 points for a Choice flight and 12,000 points for a Business flight. It looks like the same number of status credits (SQM) are earnt. Therefore, to reach their 50K level (for *A lounge access), it would take just over 4 business flights to reach - is that right; it seems a bit low?

Is there also a spend component and a minimum number of AC flights/segments?

Also, if you take connecting flights, let's say HBA-MEL-SYD, do you get twice as many status credits and points (the Aeroplan website lists, HBA-MEL, MEL-SYD, and HBA-SYD all as 8k points)?

Any confirmation, from those with experience with this, would be great.
Regards.
Where did you get the 8000 points for SYD-MEL from? Is that possibly their redemption chart?

Earning of redeemable miles and status miles by fare bucket is as per the percentages on their website, 25%-150%, but as you've noted only domestic earns SQMs. (And I don't think it's possible to earn any status dollars on VA, so you can't get status purely from Australia domestic flying.)

The fine print indicates that the minimum miles (before scaling rate) will be 250, so SYD-MEL would be (something like) 440 x [whatever rate].

But I have credited my family's VA flights to Aeroplan before where my Velocity status was already set for the year, and may shift more that way after the Velocity changes, depending on my likelihood of earning Velocity status.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back