Does getting a Rewards Maximiser require a new MR account?

Status
Not open for further replies.

beardoc

Established Member
Qantas
Platinum
I have an AMA Gold Credit Card with a reasonable Membership Rewards balance on it. As the Rewards Maximiser is a better deal if you can get the annual fee waived (1.5 points per dollar on everything), then I figured I would close my AMA card at the same time I applied for a Rewards Maximiser card.

However, on the application, it said:

You have the option to either keep or cancel the existing American Express Credit Card mentioned above.
Please check this box if you would like to cancel your existing American Express credit Card and have the balance transferred to your new Card upon approval.
Note: Membership Rewards points will not be transferred to your new Qantas American Express Card. Please check this box if you would like to cancel your existing American Express credit Card and have the balance transferred to your new Card upon approval.
Note: Membership Rewards points will not be transferred to your new Rewards Maximiser Card.

The last emphasis is mine, but it what worries me. If I get a Rewards Maximiser, are the rewards going to accrue in my current Ascent account, or are American Express going to insist that I have to open a SECOND MR account and not be able to merge them?

Just to be safe, why don't you transfer your points on your existing card into QF or Air NZ etc, and then open a Rewards Maximiser at the same time cancel your existing AMA card. Then make sure all points earned go to the RM card.

beardoc said:
The last emphasis is mine, but it what worries me. If I get a Rewards Maximiser, are the rewards going to accrue in my current Ascent account, or are American Express going to insist that I have to open a SECOND MR account and not be able to merge them?
That is definitely a worry. I have been saving for a Oneworld RTW award and I do not have enough MR points yet so I think this is a deal breaker.

I also think once a MR account is closed you only have a certain amount of time to use the MR points before they expire.

When I changed form a Amex Gold Credit Card (RACQ branded) to Amex Rewards Maximiser, my MR balance was maintained and transferred to the new card. But that was about 3 or more years ago now, so things may have changed.

I suggest you call Amex and ask them the question as they will have the definitive answer rather than the speculation and personal experiences that will be reported here.

The notes on the application seem confused. Certainly you cannot transfer to a Qantas card as noted in the application, but it seems strange that it would even mention this. I would take NM's advise and call them, as I understaood you could combine MR accounts.

OK. I spoke to the Amex hawkers in SYD T2 for 15 minutes earlier today and I can confirm that the Amex Rewards Maximiser is still available and note if you have an existing MR account then the MR points balance is transferred to the new card.

Apparently there is also a new Gold card still at 1:1 spend but the fee has been reduced to $49/pa with automatic membership in Ascent. So this is a saving of $31 for people like me who have a fee free Gold card but pay the $80/pa MR fee.

Obviously they are always trying to sell the highest commission product for themselves but they are not too impressed when you know as much as them and can actually quote specific references they need to look up on their product sheet.

They were trying to sell me on the Platinum card but I mentioned that I am not interested in the free flight or the travel insurance as I have a yearly comprehensive travel insurance policy. Please note that while browsing through the laminated brochure for Platinum card travel insurance it does not cover rental vehicle insurance excess. I was assured that it does but they could not show me anything to confirm it.

YMMV.

JohnK said:
OK. I spoke to the Amex hawkers in SYD T2 for 15 minutes earlier today and I can confirm that the Amex Rewards Maximiser is still available and note if you have an existing MR account then the MR points balance is transferred to the new card.

That is good info, and reflects the situation 2 years ago when our corporate Amex cards were closed, they transferred MR points to a new personal amex that I set up. Thankfully I did that otherwise I probably would have transferred them to QF and watch them steadily decline in value. Instead particularly with the recent changes to Ascent they are still worth something decent. The new gold card looks like a good option too - thanks for the info on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and enjoy a better viewing experience, as well as full participation on our community forums.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to enjoy lots of other benefits and discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back