Exit Row - Definition of “Willing and Able”

Bajar

Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Gold
Took four VA flights this week and was amazed at how loose the definition of “willing and able to assist” was when it came to emergency exit row seating in 13 & 14.

Flight one, an elderly lady who needed assistance for boarding was placed in 13F, next to the window. The old dear needed her walker to get to the gate, and was wheeled in a chair to a lift because she couldn’t do the stairs.

Flight two, I was seated next to a kid no older than 10 in 14A, with his Mum in 14B.

Flight three, two retirees, the gentleman needed assistance getting up the stairs and a walking stick up and down the aisle. His partner needed help raising her handbag up to the overhead locker.

I know folk pay extra to sit there (and I paid to sit there myself in the aisle), but clearly the question being asked “are you willing and able to assist in the event of an emergency” seems to be a box ticking exercise.

If an emergency occurred on any of those flights, I don’t think we could have relied on any of the folk I was seated next to.

Anyone else experience this with VA recently?

I haven’t personally seen this on VA, but clearly people who meet those descriptions should not be in the exit rows for safety reasons. I’m surprised to read that this was allowed.

It's been a while since I've ventured past row 5. I have in the past seen similar to OP on VA before and thought to judgmental self "That pax doesn't look particularly able to assist in an emergency."

One of the things that always bugged me about people in these seats is that so many of them actually seem to take very little notice of the briefing, and to my mind would be just about useless. Of course that could just be me.

I'm reminded of an accident in the USA, where there was some discussion re a young bloke of about 15 being in one of those seats prior to flight. I gather that someone wanted his seat. In any event, the aircraft was involved in a major accident, and the 15 year old was singled out as being the best performer of all.

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back