Has Qantas Remove additional Child Qantas Club Access when flying Jetstar?

Nigeldw

Can anyone help with this ?
I am QF platinum, we are flying to Bali with Jetstar.
I am wondering if i can bring my wife PLUS 16 year old daughter into the QF first lounge at Melbourne; I have seen a number of posts saying this is fine, but on Qantas website it seems kids are only allowed if im flying Qantas.
Thank you
Nigel

Your flight Permitted guests
Has a Qantas (QF) flight number on your ticket One accompanying adult and up to two children (4-17 years). The accompanying adult must be travelling on a Qantas, Jetstar, oneworld or eligible partner marketed and operated flight that same day.
Has a Jetstar (JQ) flight number on your ticket One accompanying guest who must be travelling on a Qantas, Jetstar, oneworld or eligible partner marketed and operated flight that same day.

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

sorry aikman, what do you mean ?
It's just a bit of sarcasm. Every time Qantas cuts benefits, those cuts are commonly referred to as enhancements. Well I suppose it is an enhancement from the point of view of Qantas. But yes I had always thought you could bring two kids with you but they have obviously changed the policy.

It's just a bit of sarcasm. Every time Qantas cuts benefits, those cuts are commonly referred to as enhancements. Well I suppose it is an enhancement from the point of view of Qantas. But yes I had always thought you could bring two kids with you but they have obviously changed the policy.
damn that is annoying ! so it looks like no access for my daughter then ?

damn that is annoying ! so it looks like no access for my daughter then ?
Maybe look here as the general lounge access web page - there is contradiction. In any case, you should all get access based on the following.

Qantas owned and operated lounges​

Child age
Number of children
0 to 3 yearsComplimentary access
4 to 17 yearsComplimentary access for up to 2 children
18 years +Adult guest

Lounge access for children

If you're travelling with more than two children to a Qantas owned and operated lounge, the Qantas lounge manager will try to accommodate them, subject to reviewing the space available.​

Might have to fire up the time travel way back machine but i kind of thought it was always a thing only on Qantas flights - I vaguely recall somewhere on AFF or flyertalk someone mentioning this.

It’s poorly worded but the precise wording makes it clear. There is only one guest permitted, children don’t count as guests. For some reason the QF line says one adult and two kids, the JQ line says one guest. But as per the child policy, children are in addition to guests.

Your accompanying guest must be travelling on a Qantas, Jetstar or eligible partner marketed and operated flight on the same day. Lounge access eligibility conditions apply.

In addition, you may also be able to bring children into a Qantas lounge subject to the child access guide. If children are older than 18 they are considered as a guest.

It’s poorly worded but the precise wording makes it clear. There is only one guest permitted, children don’t count as guests. For some reason the QF line says one adult and two kids, the JQ line says one guest. But as per the child policy, children are in addition to guests.

Your accompanying guest must be travelling on a Qantas, Jetstar or eligible partner marketed and operated flight on the same day. Lounge access eligibility conditions apply.

In addition, you may also be able to bring children into a Qantas lounge subject to the child access guide. If children are older than 18 they are considered as a guest.
Are you saying that the child access rules trumps all other rules? Meaning anyone who is eligible to enter a Qantas operated lounge regardless of their status or airline they are flying can bring a guest and two kids?

Last edited:
Meaning anyone who is eligible to enter a Qantas operated lounge regardless of their status or airline they are flying can bring a guest and two kids?
Well that it definitely not correct, oneworld status members don’t get that benefit.

Are you saying that the child access rules trumps all other rules? Meaning anyone who is eligible to enter a Qantas operated lounge regardless of their status or airline they are flying can bring a guest and two kids?

No, the QF child policy is a QF rule, if accessing under oneworld or another airline then those rules apply. But we are talking about QF and JQ here.

We are in an almost identical situation, flying from Melbourne to Bali on JQ in April. Wife is Gold, and we have 2 kids. I'd be interested to hear how you get on with this. The website is confusing.

Only ever had this challenge with children once out of many occasions and that was in Dubai

When I put it to the staff member, what was I supposed to do with my then 14 yo he backed Orf and both of us gained entry

It’s not like they (or you) can just leave a 6 month old or 6 year or 10 year old outside the club lounge entrance (JQ of course not doing Unaccompanied Minors)

If you fly often enough to be WP then the least they can do is accommodate your family members including the underage children when you’re heading on a holiday

I am wondering if any one has an update on this. I am potentially in the exact same position as the O P.

Myself as WP, traveling with an adult and a fourteen year old. All on the same JQ international flight from MEL.

The QF lounge policy is quite clear that child access is only on a QF ticket and not available on a JQ ticket.
Does anyone have any recent experience with the MEL F lounge in this situation?

Thanks
P

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back