How close would you have to get to consider a status run to P1?

Mh4k

Per the title, four months into my membership year and based on my current bookings I’ll end up with about 2800 SCs. With green tier, bonuses and some BAU domestic travel I expect to close the year out at about 3000 or slightly over.

Curious whether it’s worth fitting in another trip or two to make P1. My instinct is not to bother, but I thought I’d let you lot try to talk me into it 🙂

My usual travel patterns are a couple of long haul J trips per year, 10-20 domestic Y returns and the occasional points excursion in J or F to Asia or Europe.

I will attempt to offer up a slightly more detailed reasoning for my earlier comment. Much commentry in the P1 thread across the many pages, but in my view..

In this particular case you're looking at near 30% more SC accural to reach the goal of P1.

The detail wasn't mentioned by the OP, but the current international travel patterns may or may not be on QF. This becomes a factor for P1 with the 2700 SC "QF flight number" earn requirement, and needs to be kept in mind.

Really though, we're talking, give or take, 1/3 more travel to get to P1. That is substantial in my book. If one was say 3480 and could find their way to an extra J trip say MEL-OOL then sure that would make far more sense potentially.

The main thing though, imo, is the benefits just aren't worth it and many are unpublished so no guarantees of anything such as the odd comp upgrade, event invites or whathaveyou. Even things like reward seat release availability above that of Plat is far from guaranted. Sounds like you already find the value you need as is. Jury is still out as to the effect of C+ on this, but some anecdotal chit chat I have seen is.. not encouraging.

The defined benefits? Really not much over Plat tbh.

With that said, the question then is one of the reality of projected use of the status for travel (I put all the non travel things basically in a separate) during the next membership year - would there be value there?

i wouldn't recommend chasing for the extra time/cost to get that 800SC as, basically, I don't think the cost/benefit would be there for you.

I was P1 for 10 years and never once considered doing a status run to retain as it just happened. Things have changed and now the only benefit I miss is the ability to request a manual review for seat release as we tend to travel in school holidays. Next, maybe the WP status gift my +1 has, it was good for F lounge access when travelling as a family but all good things come to an end. I the coming years we will be sent back to the OW J lounges and in all honesty I can live with that.

Last edited:
I will attempt to offer up a slightly more detailed reasoning for my earlier comment. Much commentry in the P1 thread across the many pages, but in my view..

In this particular case you're looking at near 30% more SC accural to reach the goal of P1.

The detail wasn't mentioned by the OP, but the current international travel patterns may or may not be on QF. This becomes a factor for P1 with the 2700 SC "QF flight number" earn requirement, and needs to be kept in mind.

Really though, we're talking, give or take, 1/3 more travel to get to P1. That is substantial in my book. If one was say 3480 and could find their way to an extra J trip say MEL-OOL then sure that would make far more sense potentially.

The main thing though, imo, is the benefits just aren't worth it and many are unpublished so no guarantees of anything such as the odd comp upgrade, event invites or whathaveyou. Even things like reward seat release availability above that of Plat is far from guaranted. Sounds like you already find the value you need as is. Jury is still out as to the effect of C+ on this, but some anecdotal chit chat I have seen is.. not encouraging.

The defined benefits? Really not much over Plat tbh.

With that said, the question then is one of the reality of projected use of the status for travel (I put all the non travel things basically in a separate) during the next membership year - would there be value there?

i wouldn't recommend chasing for the extra time/cost to get that 800SC as, basically, I don't think the cost/benefit would be there for you.
Nice to see a P1 confirm what I already suspected

If I flew enough to make Platinum I think I'd start to miss not having to fly. I can't imagine spending several extra days in the air just to make the other flying sort-of-kind-of better. I'm personally of the belief that not flying is better than flying, no matter the cabin, but maybe that's because I don't have to do much of it for work.

I've never been higher than Silver so I don't really know anything, though.

The main thing though, imo, is the benefits just aren't worth it and many are unpublished so no guarantees of anything
Totally agree with this as a P1, most of the benefits are lot guaranteed.

I have only had one event invite, none of the CL single lounge invites, hardly any comp upgrades and the unlocking of reward seats is difficult during peak times given the scale of the QF network.

I know others who are contemplating splitting loyalty and doing PPS and QF Plat rather than QF P1. It’s worth considering depending on your travel patterns.

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.

Staff online

• NM
    Enthusiast
Back