how to initiate a chargeback?

Status
Not open for further replies.

diningdecadence

Established Member
hi all,

looking for help into how to initiate a chargeback on a select card. please someone tell me i don't have to deal with the overseas call centre!

booked a training course, they've now gone into liquidation. is this something i should be telling them? or just that i didn't get the goods i ordered and i am unsatisfied with the vendor's response?

not looking forward to this process so any tips greatly accepted!

thanks

My advice is be honest and get the proccess in action as soon as you can, the more info you can provide the sooner the bank can act. Different institutions have wildly different timeframes and customer experiences but good luck - part of the beauty of these forums is that people can come back and share more info and provide more helpful advice. Ducument and track everything with your discussions and emails with the bank/card issuer, you hopefully won't need it but useful stuff when you do!

Especially if you are hitting roadblocks...

Go to the company first and ask for a refund. Put your request in writing. Then go straight to your credit provider and tell them what you've done and ask that they follow it up and request that they remove the charge from your account. Again do this over the phone and in writing (email if possible).

Tell them the truth, i.e. the company has gone into liquidation.

If for some reason the company refunds you tell the credit provider immediately, otherwise ask that the creditr provider gives you an update at regular intervals.

Good luck.

thanks for the help. no answers from the telephone in about 5 days, and the email address has just bounced back.

do i just call the normal call centre or is there a special number i need to call/ form to fill in?

EDIT: ok called the service centre. got call ref details and a form to fill in (link here: http://www.citibank.com.au/AUGCB/AP...ath=/info/det/banking_transaction_dispute.htm )

looks like it could be a long process. these things happen i guess.

Last edited:
thanks for the help. no answers from the telephone in about 5 days, and the email address has just bounced back.

do i just call the normal call centre or is there a special number i need to call/ form to fill in?

EDIT: ok called the service centre. got call ref details and a form to fill in (link here: http://www.citibank.com.au/AUGCB/AP...ath=/info/det/banking_transaction_dispute.htm )

looks like it could be a long process. these things happen i guess.

Please remember that chargebacks are a visa function and as such there are globally consistent standards re timing. This allows enough time for a request to go to the merchant and back again... At first glance as a consumer they seem like a long time but please don't get too angry with Citi (although they make it very easy for people to get worked up) as they can't speed things up beyond the Visa rules.

These things happen every day so they will have a 'disputes team' who deal with this and it's a pretty standard thing for credit card issuers

I would be cautious about jumping to any conclusions about liquidation, because this could be handled differently than a standard transaction dispute.

This is the OCD part of me, but the term is a card transaction dispute. A chargeback is what transpires when when you successfully win the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and enjoy a better viewing experience, as well as full participation on our community forums.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to enjoy lots of other benefits and discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.

Recent Posts

Back