King Charles Visit 2024

I'm sure you will manage to get to the theatre. How was your brunch?

:rolleyes:

Brunch postponed, 2 of my friends live in North Sydney and the circus made it too hard for them to get out of their street. Lots of the locals were annoyed, Charlie isn't winning any fans.

And not looking good for Tuesday given the royal circus will be at SOH from 4:20pm that way too close to the theatre for my liking.

Last edited:
Random and pointless fact King Charles is one of only 3 people who don't actually need a passport to travel

I suspect that the British sovereign would still require a passport to travel to non-Commonwealth countries and countries that aren't friendly with the UK.

For citizens that may be the case but thousands of active military can travel with just id and a copy of formal orders.

I'm surprised to learn active military aren't considered citizens. Are they considered citizens when not on active duty?

He is the King of Australia and the aircraft is part of His Majesty's Royal Australian Airforce. What's the problem with it being used to transport His Majesty?

Welcome to AFF, ChrisKenny. It'll be interesting to see how long your avatar lasts in these parts.

Brunch postponed, 2 of my friends live in North Sydney and the circus made it too hard for them to get out of their street. Lots of the locals were annoyed, Charlie isn't winning any fans.

And not looking good for Tuesday given the royal circus will be at SOH from 4:20pm that way too close to the theatre for my liking.
He's won plenty of fans don't worry . Your North Sydney friends will survive one minor inconvenience this morning I'm sure.

I suspect that the British sovereign would still require a passport to travel to non-Commonwealth countries and countries that aren't friendly with the UK.

I'm surprised to learn active military aren't considered citizens. Are they considered citizens when not on active duty?

Welcome to AFF, ChrisKenny. It'll be interesting to see how long your avatar lasts in these parts.
sons friend was in the Australian Protective Services. He never carried his passport nor any identity on duty in other countries. And he visited many war torn zones on active service. He was based in Dubai.

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Definitely the King strikes me as a greenie decades before it became popular and his mother following the the traditions of her forebears.

Often referred to over the decades as crazy Charlie for things which many now realise were insightful about restoring land, minimising impact, self sustaining, et al.
Ah I love it when billionaires are greenies. If they paid proper taxes it would set a better example than using running their Austin Martins on left over cheese and white wine from their tables.

Ah I love it when billionaires are greenies. If they paid proper taxes it would set a better example than using running their Austin Martins on left over cheese and white wine from their tables.
Chicka probably does pay his taxes, ‘cos he knows he gets paid from taxes again so he’s just paying himself …

No the real “issues” with his “greenness” has been that a helluva lot of what he’s said people should do over the years requires those people to have his resources. For example owning a couple of wineries to make enough wine to run said Aston Martins off the wine.

He's won plenty of fans don't worry . Your North Sydney friends will survive one minor inconvenience this morning I'm sure.
LOL only those who were already predisposed to wanting to be subservient to someone who does not hold rank because of any skill or hard work or vote from citizens but solely because they happen to be lucky to be born to the right parents.

Chuck's presence is nothing but an inconvenience and waste of taxes which I would prefer be spent looking after Australians not entertaining wealthy foreigners. The sooner they leave the better.

LOL only those who were already predisposed to wanting to be subservient to someone who does not hold rank because of any skill or hard work or vote from citizens but solely because they happen to be lucky to be born to the right parents.

Chuck's presence is nothing but an inconvenience and waste of taxes which I would prefer be spent looking after Australians not entertaining wealthy foreigners. The sooner they leave the better.
I'd agree if our taxes were always wisely spent but they aren't. Our money is tossed away. So at least this spend is bringing a lot of people joy which makes a refreshing change. And the media headlines are positive for a change. People need that. Wastage of taxes is not an argument I'd use here.

this spend is bringing a lot of people joy

No joy here, the circus means we cant enjoy a pre-theatre dinner at preferred venue as planned; nor drive home. Parking near the theater that is usually a flat rate of $15 for evening is suddenly 19/hr and road closures mean a lengthy walk; because of disruption caused by Chuck's need to feel worshipped.

I bet the impacted businesses are really pleased with the lost business.

According to friends working at AMP and Brambles in offices near the quay they have been advised to WFH tomorrow because trying to leave office to go home will be disrupted with road closures.

The only plus side is the weather is lousy with any luck they might get totally washed out.

I could post a myriad of reasons in addition to the wasteful taxes as to why Chuck is irrelevant and unwelcome but that discussion isn't allowed.

I think you are all over estimating their popularity; and underestimating the disruption to locals. But of course when you are lucky to live somewhere the circus isn't invading then its easier to be unbothered.

I bought my theatre tickets long before this nonsense was announced, obviously I would have picked another date had one known this was going to be happening.

Last edited:
Having been in Manhattan when the President was there I can confidently say the system of government doesn’t make it any better.

At least our Head of State lives on the other side of the world so these visits are quite rare.

No joy here, the circus means we cant enjoy a pre-theatre dinner at preferred venue as planned; nor drive home. Parking near the theater that is usually a flat rate of $15 for evening is suddenly 19/hr and road closures mean a lengthy walk; because of disruption caused by Chuck's need to feel worshipped.

I bet the impacted businesses are really pleased with the lost business.

According to friends working at AMP and Brambles in offices near the quay they have been advised to WFH tomorrow because trying to leave office to go home will be disrupted with road closures.

The only plus side is the weather is lousy with any luck they might get totally washed out.

I could post a myriad of reasons in addition to the wasteful taxes as to why Chuck is irrelevant and unwelcome but that discussion isn't allowed.

I think you are all over estimating their popularity; and underestimating the disruption to locals. But of course when you are lucky to live somewhere the circus isn't invading then its easier to be unbothered.

I bought my theatre tickets long before this nonsense was announced, obviously I would have picked another date had one known this was going to be happening.
Yes I know it has brought you no joy rather inconvenience but that isn't the point for society in general.

I'd like it if KC came to Adelaide. The Royals get huge welcomes here. Just like the Beatles did. So rather than consider Adelaide fortunate I think quite the opposite. Most of Australia missed out. I'd not go line up to see them but don't deny the joy of those who are so inclined. Heavens we get disrupted for car races, bike races, LIVAdelaide which is just nearby by, Footy etc but rather than begrudge anyone interested in those events I appreciate that people need some pleasantries in their life.

I'd agree if our taxes were always wisely spent but they aren't.
People always complain about this "Gov't is wasteful etc". But I'd rather taxes be wasted on public benefits, than for it to be *wasted* by being kept in private hands where it will NOT benefit society.

Having been in Manhattan when the President was there I can confidently say the system of government doesn’t make it any better.
This! whether it's the king, a president, or some superstar cult celebrity, we (ie society) always going to be throwing resources at placating our desire to worship something or the other..

Last edited:
People always complain about this "Gov't is wasteful etc". But I'd rather taxes be wasted on public benefits, that for it to be *wasted* by being kept in private hands where it will NOT benefit society.
Reckon you are talking two different things here.

Yes I know it has brought you no joy rather inconvenience but that isn't the point for society in general.

No I do not feel the point of society is to inconvenience the many for the privilege of a few self important types. A healthy society works to benefit the many.

Most of Australia missed out.
Lucky devils.

I'd not go line up to see them but don't deny the joy of those who are so inclined. Heavens we get disrupted for car races, bike races, LIVAdelaide which is just nearby by, Footy etc but rather than begrudge anyone interested in those events I appreciate that people need some pleasantries in their life.

Apart from City to Surf which closes roads for 1 day and is well patronized, publicized and very easy to avoid (as its the same weekend every year) I cant think of any events in Sydney that cause major disruptions for the average person and certainly none on a work day.

C2S attracts 80-100k participants + many volunteers, cant see anywhere near that volume turning out to gawk at Chuck.

Footy and other sports games are in the burbs and don't close roads; cars race on track at eastern creek not in Sydney etc.

I'm pretty certain the turn out to support Chuck will be much lower than say Tay Tay fans who camped out to catch a glimpse. I'm no Beatles fan but also pretty sure they were much more popular than Chuck will ever be.

I cant see any surge in flight prices into Sydney or Hotels as people rush into town to see him; it seems very few care; hence why the disruptions are unacceptable. There is no benefit in his visit, it is all downside.

Healthcare, Public Transport just two better uses of Tax dollars.

Healthcare, Public Transport just two better uses of Tax dollars.
I’d be pretty comfortable in saying that if the King wasn’t coming there is still zero chance of any extra funds going to any of those two things.
Governments spend/waste money all the time and if not the King it would be something else

There are in fact many other sporting events in Australia that do close roads Even on the Sunshine coast we have roads closed for the Mooloolaba Triathalon

As well as Noosa triathalon.

And for those the disruptions last a week.
In Sydney you have left out the Sydney Marathon which from next year is probably going to be a World Marathon major.

Shutting down North Sydney for longer than King Charles did.

In motor racing Surfers Paradise is crippled for a week with the supercars.

So the closures for the visit of King Charles are nothing compared to those. And the pictures I see about his visit tell me a good many Australians are enjoying it.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.

Staff online

Back