Lost luggage in Broome - 5 days later

brett-au

My luggage was dropped T3 Sydney at 6:40am for a 7:15 flight (QF1042) to Broome on the 22nd August. Tight but not after cut off. Unfortunately, the bag did not appear in Broome. It’s been over 100 hours since it was supposed to be in Broome. Logged a ticket on the 22nd. The Qantas website still says “searching for bag - check back later”. The bag is fairly large, with my surname and phone number on it (can't easily be removed)

I’m thinking it made it to Broome, but the tag fell off and they aren’t fussed about reporting it. I'm actually back in Sydney this morning.

Any suggestions on how to get the bag located? I rang the main number on Saturday and emailed them a photo of the bag. Or is it just a matter of waiting.

Broome airport was super unhelpful. Another 2 passengers lost their bags and it was a ghost town trying to find someone to help. I wasn't fussed, but they were very upset.

Alas no airtag ;-)

Also a tip. The qantas app is really good at tracking your bag. You can view each step when you view the trip.

Does the app tell you where it is?

If unsure, I would physically go to sydney airport and show them a photo. If it's there, hopefully they can find it.

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Does the app tell you where it is?

If unsure, I would physically go to sydney airport and show them a photo. If it's there, hopefully they can find it.
App and QF say it has left Sydney

I did show QF a photo when I passed through the airport. I'm wondering if its been put into storage. The other option is that it somehow was stolen from Broome. But I'm thinking it was mistakenly put on a connecting flight to Derby, Fitzroy Crossing, Kununurra, etc.

If it made it to BME, id imagine it would have been placed on the carousel as they know what flight it came off.

It sounds like the tag fell off in SYD and they didnt know what flight to place to bag on.

Update: bag has been found in Broome. It was there the entire time. It was on the 22nd flight. Apparently there was no issues with the tags. That makes me super grumpy. Why on earth couldn't qf have rung Broome/asked them to check.

Hopefully it will be back in Sydney tomorrow night.

Delivered at 10:30am this morning. Original tag still on the bag.

Probably the summary is, Broome airport sucks, don't be afraid to go back to the gate while you are there, because there is no chance of ringing them after you leave (and I tried countless times).

Small epilogue. I was successful in getting compensation from QF. I should clarify, I wasn't actually missing toiletries or clothes, I had enough to make do. Also Broome doesn't have a great range. What was missing were the hiking & camping gear. I didn't buy/hire any of that as I was confident the bag would turn up the next day and I wasn't certain I could claim the cost of a set of hiking poles.

QF were sympathetic and understood they could have resolved this better, so $100 will be deposited in my bank account. I have already bought samsung tags/tile trackers for all my luggage.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back