Lost Points for Cash Code

Status
Not open for further replies.

__minotaur__

I received a Points for Cash Promo from Amex offering 20% discount of Points for Cash untill the end of Feb if I remember correctly.

I did cash in 104,000 for $1000, (instead of the usual 130,000 points) but I've managed to lose the promo card they sent and I want to cash in some more.

Does anyone else still have the promo letter with the codes to obtain the 20% discount?

I think there were codes for $100, $250, $500 and $1000 redemptions.

Thanks in advance if anyone can help.

__minotaur__,

Welcome to AFF.

Might I suggest that you could contact AMEX and ask them for the codes again.

I vaguely recall the promo but would have deleted it as I'd never use my points this way.

__minotaur__ said:
I received a Points for Cash Promo from Amex offering 20% discount of Points for Cash untill the end of Feb if I remember correctly.

I did cash in 104,000 for $1000, (instead of the usual 130,000 points) but I've managed to lose the promo card they sent and I want to cash in some more.

Does anyone else still have the promo letter with the codes to obtain the 20% discount?

I think there were codes for $100, $250, $500 and $1000 redemptions.

Thanks in advance if anyone can help.

what a sad waste of points!

i will give you $1k for your 104000 points if you like :D

I agree that 104,000 Amex MR points for $1,000 is not very good value but some people prefer to take the cash rather than going through the hassle of trying to use the Amex MR points for award flights.

JohnK said:
I agree that 104,000 Amex MR points for $1,000 is not very good value but some people prefer to take the cash rather than going through the hassle of trying to use the Amex MR points for award flights.
Especially if you have no use for award flights at the time.

While someone may be selling elephants for $20 each, if you don't need an elephant then you are wasting $20 to buy one (assume the elephant comes with restrictions such as being non-transferable or able to be resold). And if buying the elephant means you are also committing to pay cash for elephant food, registration fees and other associate taxes and surcharges, it could be very poor value indeed.

NM said:
Especially if you have no use for award flights at the time.

While someone may be selling elephants for $20 each, if you don't need an elephant then you are wasting $20 to buy one (assume the elephant comes with restrictions such as being non-transferable or able to be resold). And if buying the elephant means you are also committing to pay cash for elephant food, registration fees and other associate taxes and surcharges, it could be very poor value indeed.

yes, but if its is transferable, someone else may be willing to pay $30 for that elephant. so if you purchase it, you can make a handy profit

of course, we know FF points are transferable... to some extent

NM said:
NM,

Get me an elephant (a real one) for $20 and I'll buy it. It would really help solve the issues with our neighbours :!:

kkutasi said:
of course, we know FF points are transferable... to some extent
Can Amex MR points be transferred to any FF account? If so, then it removes the condition where FF points transfers must be from/to eligible family members only.

JohnK said:
Can Amex MR points be transferred to any FF account? If so, then it removes the condition where FF points transfers must be from/to eligible family members only.

From the Amex Membership Rewards T&C's - 10.1
...You may convert Points into any one or more participating Frequent Traveller Program(s) in your name only. Points transferred to a Frequent Traveller account in any other name will be returned to your Program Account....
Richard.

rwatts said:
From the Amex Membership Rewards T&C's - 10.1
...You may convert Points into any one or more participating Frequent Traveller Program(s) in your name only. Points transferred to a Frequent Traveller account in any other name will be returned to your Program Account....
Richard.
There goes that theory then :!: :evil: :evil: :evil:

I convert points for cash sometimes. There are times when I don't want a toaster, don't care about a David Jones voucher, nor do I really have any use for additional FF points or other loyalty scheme points.

I don't see anything wrong with it, but agree that points are more valuable than cash at times.

straitman said:
There goes that theory then :!: :evil: :evil: :evil:

not exactly.

what if you transferred your MR points to your QFF account, and then did a "family" transfer to someone else?

:p

kkutasi said:
not exactly.

what if you transferred your MR points to your QFF account, and then did a "family" transfer to someone else?

:p
But the question was whether it could be done without a "family" transfer-

JohnK said:
Richard

kkutasi said:
How about if you transferred your Amex MR points to a FF account and then redeemed an award for someone else. Now they may decide to give you a gift which may be in the form of cash.

I am not sure if you can redeem QFF awards for non family members but for FF programs like Royal Orchid Plus you can have up to 5 nominees in your FF account, not necessarily family members, and redeem awards for them.

I am sorry if this discussion has gotten way off track but the reason I mentioned Amex MR points transfers to non family members is reading FT Coupon Connection there appears to be a very healthy trade going on with Amex MR points. Maybe I am not understanding it correctly or the US based Amex MR points have different set of rules to the Australian based Amex MR points....

JohnK said:
How about if you transferred your Amex MR points to a FF account and then redeemed an award for someone else. Now they may decide to give you a gift which may be in the form of cash.
Im sure Amex dosnt care what you do with the resulting frequent traveller program points once they have been transferred from Membership Rewards - as long as they went to the cardholder's account. After that point they are subject only to the T&Cs of the receiving program. Hence the ability to launder through programs such as SPG to other programs not participating with (Aus) Amex.

Richard.

straitman said:
NM,

Get me an elephant (a real one) for $20 and I'll buy it. It would really help solve the issues with our neighbours :!:
NM: I wish I had enough money to by 10,000 elephants
Mrs NM: What on earth do you want with 10,000 elephants?
NM: I don't want the elephants, just enough money to buy them.

NM said:
NM: I wish I had enough money to by 10,000 elephants
Mrs NM: What on earth do you want with 10,000 elephants?
NM: I don't want the elephants, just enough money to buy them.
I'll drink to that :!: :shock:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and enjoy a better viewing experience, as well as full participation on our community forums.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to enjoy lots of other benefits and discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back