Need advice for 2 days in Ho Chi Minh City

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sunshine

I will be spending just two days in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam in early September, and would like some advice on the the best way to spend the time. Any recommendations on places to go, things to see would be appreciated. Thanks:D

Sightseeing, learning about the history and culture, or anything really that you would consider a must do if you only have 2 days there. Thanks

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

The Cu Chi tunnels is a must (to me anyway) and on the way there, stop by the famous temple where Buddhism, Conucianism and Taoism are practised together. Forgot the name of the temple but its on the way and everyone knows of it.
The War Museum is very interesting and do have a beer or coffee on the roof garden of the Rex Hotel in the evening. This is the place where the journos receive their daily 6 pm briefing by the military during the Vietnam War.

The Cu Chi tunnels is a must (to me anyway) and on the way there, stop by the famous temple where Buddhism, Conucianism and Taoism are practised together. Forgot the name of the temple but its on the way and everyone knows of it.

Cao Dai. I'd probably agree with CuChi assuming you are happy learning about the Vietnam War (or 'American War' as it's known in Vietnam).

In the city, I like the area around the square in front of the Opera House including coughtails at QBar on the side. I also like the area around the Post Office.

Incidentally, if you read Greene's "The Quiet American", lots of the city plus the Cao Dai temple are in it. Great for a bit of atmosphere.

Other than that, it's a city that rewards walking around.

You can organise a tour (most hotels will help you) where you do a river cruise and then do the tunnels.

If your into shopping there is a market in the centre of town, you can pick up everything from handicrafts to knock-offs. You'll have to get your haggle on - practice phases like "my maximum" and don't be afraid to walk away.

If your into spas, there are plenty about, you can get a manicure and massage, facial for about $40 US. It can be pretty cheap!

Have fun!

Thank you all for your useful suggestions.

Didn't have time to read the book, but watched 'The Quite American' on DVD last night. Great movie!

Will give an update when I get back.

Siagon is an interesting city... i always felt safe enough but just watch what you eat and note that most clubs and bars close at 1am and taxis at that time will try and rip you off.

Where are you staying ? keep in mind its a busy city for hotels and sometimes difficult to get room so book soon.

E

The place to book any one or two day tours is called Pham Ngu Lao - a very touristy street in Saigon. All the cafes and back packer hostels have tours readily available. I took the Sinh Cafe tours to Cu Chi Tunnels (got to crawl through the tunnels and fire from an AK47) and the Mekong Delta 1 day tour. Each day tour is generally US$10-15. There are half-day tours as well.

I also found the War Museum in the city centre somewhere very interesting (if not relatively graphic!).

Saigon is a crazy city which can be quite confronting at first but even in all the chaos and traffic is quite safe in my opinion. Some great shopping opportunities and great food. If you're not into markets, Diamond Plaza is a good department store.

If you go to the restaurants, cafes, etc where the locals hang out, the prices are ridiculously cheap (my wife and I had a full dinner with drinks at one local joint which cost us 20,000 dong = ~A$1.80...!

JOBU

Great city; the traffic is an experience in itself, the natives are friendly, everyone is happy, english is widely spoken but try and learn a phrase or two (always important wherever you travel).

I agree with others: Chu Chi tunnels, Museum of American War Crimes (sorry, now called the War Relics Museum), Reunification Palace, the Walking tour out of the city from the Lonely Planet, all good.

Always felt safe, the food and bear is cheap; although wine is relatively expensive (although @ $10 it is cheaper than here).

Have fun; but why stop only in Saigon; the whole country is fascinating.:D

The taxi scams are particularly bad at the moment. Just do your research before you go on which taxi company to use (can't remember the name off the top of my head... Mai Lin? I think) and watch for "fake" taxis. My brother was there a few weeks ago and got scammed in 4/4 cabs.

Prebook your hotel transfer to avoid the airport taxi rort. Xe om taxis have a notorious reputation so always get hotel staff to confirm you're being charged appropriately. I'd suggest walking around to really get amongst it. Keep your valuables close and be vigilant about your personal safety. Agree with others cu chi tunnels are fantastic. Given your time constraints private car tours might be the best way to go. Aim to head off early to avoid all the tourist busses at your destination. This will also allow you to avoid walking around in the midday heat. The ben thanh markets were good to kill some time in the late afternoon. Pop up to hcmc's tallest building and take in the view from the bitexco sky deck (financial tower). There is a resteraunt up there also. I recall there is a recommended dress standard for that venue. Have fun Vietnam is amazing.

Pickup the Lonely Planet guide, there a couple of self-guided walks around the city which visit many of the better spots, and a few that are out of the way too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back