Physical currency exchange

yojohnny

I have various (physical) currencies gathering dust. I will be years before I use even of them, and probably much longer for some, if ever. It's been at least a decade since I exchanged physical currency.

Are there any places in Australia that are known to offer better rates than others?

EDIT: I should mention I am in Perth.

Last edited:
My go to place in Melbourne is United Currency Exchange - a comparison of their rates board compared to the others in the city tends to show they offer the sharpest rates. Back in the days when we could travel they often had queues so others concurred it was a good deal.

KVBKUNLUN were a good option in Sydney in the past (think minimum was $100) but I guess that may have changed

KVBKUNLUN were a good option in Sydney in the past (think minimum was $100) but I guess that may have changed

Previously went to them in Melbourne for good rates too, although they seemed a bit restricted in the currencies they held.

If there are small amounts not worth changing don't forget Qantas Change for good
Early last year, before C19, I did that - had lots of small amounts of currency from places we wouldn't be back too. The Qantas Change for good have plenty of those perspex bins in the terminals.

My go to place in Melbourne is United Currency Exchange - a comparison of their rates board compared to the others in the city tends to show they offer the sharpest rates. Back in the days when we could travel they often had queues so others concurred it was a good deal.
Thanks - I should have mentioned, I am in Perth but thought some suggestions might be national; MELB and SYD this one seems to be. Damn!
Post automatically merged:

Previously went to them in Melbourne for good rates too, although they seemed a bit restricted in the currencies they held.
Thanks. I can't find them any longer it seems!
Post automatically merged:

If there are small amounts not worth changing don't forget Qantas Change for good
Ta - will have a look.

Early last year, before C19, I did that - had lots of small amounts of currency from places we wouldn't be back too. The Qantas Change for good have plenty of those perspex bins in the terminals.
What’s a terminal. I think I heard about them once 😩

Are there any places in Australia that are known to offer better rates than others?

In any large Australian city, look to where the international uni students congregate in large numbers. Go to this area of town and search for unbranded convenience stores. Walk to the back of the convenience store, and see if someone has a little office set up there to do currency conversion.

In any large Australian city, look to where the international uni students congregate in large numbers. Go to this area of town and search for unbranded convenience stores. Walk to the back of the convenience store, and see if someone has a little office set up there to do currency conversion.
hrmmm... Interesting... ta.

I've previously used Unimoni (formerly UAE Exchange) which I found had good rates and physical stores in the major cities. But many of their stores (including my nearest store in Canberra CBD) seemed to be closed last time I checked due to the pandemic.

When I recently tried changing foreign currency at another retailer which was open (Travellex, I think) they weren't accepting all foreign currencies. So I still have a fair bit of somewhat obscure physical currency. I'd be grateful for any ideas from anyone who has tried exchanging currency recently.

Hi everyone - need help from Melbourne travellers re exchanging money and have a gripe about Travelex ….so have lots of euros /Scandinavian Kr (various ) and Sterling. Moving house so don’t want lots of money around and trips are in the never never. Go to Travelex website
1- stated Chadstone open - went there/sign on door come back at 10 / a human was inside (not a cleaner) so we assumed the store would open (as advertised). Go back at 10 and sign now says closed until further notice!!!!
2- look at Travelex website today -sth Melb open 930am (this one I have used a lot - even have the bundles/bags and documentation from the last unused currency I got from them. Go into bank (it’s inside HSBC) who say they left ages ago. Also even though HSBC is a bank not interested in foreign currency..

so… Travelex - get your website right - if you’ve left Melb say so…

anyone know where to exchange in Melb that is actually open and not Tullamarine airport - prefer NOT in CBD but may have no choice. even though it’s common currencies banks are not interested

looking forward to advice from AFF Melb family!!!!

Thanks in advance

I’ll give an update.
So I wrote to travelex who promptly replied from the UK… ‘sorry we’ve now fixed the site and correct addresses up’
re Chadstone the advice was ‘always call before you go’!
yesterday I managed to speak to a human in the CBD store. I asked if the store would be open on a certain date when I will be in CBD - could not tell me
I managed to pin him down to it’s more likely than not someone will be here daily between 10 and 2… but ring first!!! (hours open are 10-4 daily)
….maybe he is the only one who works in all of Melb?!?

Whoever is open!
I started w Travelex because it was the only one (I thought) that did not involve going into CBD Melb. I’ll check this out

Google is saying some of the Melbourne Unimonis are closed either permanently or temporarily. Fountain Gate, Werribee, Coburg

Perhaps give Footscray a call - otherwise the two in the CBD might be open (again call?!?!)

I wonder whether there is a massive shortage of workers and foreign currency has just bottomed out because no one was allowed to leave for a long time🤔

Google is saying some of the Melbourne Unimonis are closed either permanently or temporarily. Fountain Gate, Werribee, Coburg

Perhaps give Footscray a call - otherwise the two in the CBD might be open (again call?!?!)

I wonder whether there is a massive shortage of workers and foreign currency has just bottomed out because no one was allowed to leave for a long time🤔
Even the banks refuse to exchange
I have now found and spoke w Geelong Travelex and she was (a) there (b) human and (c) helpful ++
As I’ll be doing hols on coast will swing by
So Linda - gold star to you

A bit belated but for anyone still reading this Unimoni have gone bust and are out of business.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back