Plat Merchant Fees

Status
Not open for further replies.

tgh

Established Member
I'm again revisting the idea of upgrading to Platinum.
I'm sure somewhere in the old discussions it was mentioned that the plat and higher cards hit the merchants for higher fees.
Can anyone enlighten me please ??

I'm again revisting the idea of upgrading to Platinum.
I'm sure somewhere in the old discussions it was mentioned that the plat and higher cards hit the merchants for higher fees.
Can anyone enlighten me please ??

If you're referring to what it costs a business to accept a Platinum MC or Visa compared to a 'normal' MC or Visa, then there is no difference that I've ever encountered. Our merchant facilities charge us flat rates for MasterCard & Visa, regardless of the card issuer or the colour of the card.

Edit: you mentioned "platinum or higher" - which implies you maybe mean Platinum AMEX and Centurian AMEX? If so, I can't comment from direct experience as we don't accept AMEX cards in our businesses, but in our discussions with the AMEX merchant people over time this type of fee differentiation for different cards has never been mentioned.

We accept Amex where I work, and it doesnt matter if your card is Green, Gold, Platinum or Black, it doesnt cost us less or more.

The only difference is with Platinum & Black cardholders, as we try to provide a higher level of service to them (I dont mean this to sound discriminatory, as every customer is treated with respect and due courtesy, just with the high tier cards, and given that most of our transactions are quite sizeable, we do try and go above and beyond as normally these particular cardholders represent the buying division of large national or international companies that we deal with).

For Visa and Mastercard, NAB charge merchants a higher rate to process Platinum cards than standard cards. Most other banks charge the same.

For Amex, it does not matter to the merchant which type of Amex card you use.

Thanks very much everyone..

It is just one small brick in the wall , but as we use our Amex cards at every opportunity , I didn't want any extra angst if was flashing a plat card instead of the gold.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and enjoy a better viewing experience, as well as full participation on our community forums.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to enjoy lots of other benefits and discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.

Currently Active Users

Back