Qantas Amex Ultimate vs Platinum

Status
Not open for further replies.

NaughtyHazz

Hey guys,

Have had qantas amex ultimate for 5 or so years now and have recently gotten an amex platinum for the perks of the card ahead of some Europe travels.

As a qantas frequent flyer, I was meticulous in getting qantas/oneworld flights for the sake of the points ans status credits. However just after making the booking on my new platinum amex did I remember that I wasn't going to get qantas FF points for the purchase.

A bit devastated, I've started trying to research the amex points rewards program to try justify my blunder. A bit confused so I thought I'd get your opinions on what I've done and to ask if there's any silver linings to not just using my qantas amex instead of platinum.

Is getting FF points through qantas amex ultimate the best value points system? Or am I underselling the amex points reward system and should be excited about making a big purchase under that program?

Thanks in advance!

Hey guys,

Have had qantas amex ultimate for 5 or so years now and have recently gotten an amex platinum for the perks of the card ahead of some Europe travels.

As a qantas frequent flyer, I was meticulous in getting qantas/oneworld flights for the sake of the points ans status credits. However just after making the booking on my new platinum amex did I remember that I wasn't going to get qantas FF points for the purchase.

A bit devastated, I've started trying to research the amex points rewards program to try justify my blunder. A bit confused so I thought I'd get your opinions on what I've done and to ask if there's any silver linings to not just using my qantas amex instead of platinum.

Is getting FF points through qantas amex ultimate the best value points system? Or am I underselling the amex points reward system and should be excited about making a big purchase under that program?

Thanks in advance!
Thinking of doing the same, Amex rewards convert 2:1 QFF, but you don't get bonus points on QF purchases. I look forward to others opinions.

I don’t have a Qantas direct earn card but regularly get bonus transfer offers from Qantas which could swing the balance in its favour.

For ‘general’ spend, the points earn on Platinum is 1.125 Qantas points vs 1.25 on the Ultimate card. Depends on how much you spend especially with Qantas directly as to how the numbers pan out with the Platinum vs direct earn. You do get a choice with Platinum to transfer to other airlines which means Qantas have an incentive to continue offering transfer bonuses.

Just my 2 cents worth. YMMV.

I don’t have a Qantas direct earn card but regularly get bonus transfer offers from Qantas which could swing the balance in its favour.

For ‘general’ spend, the points earn on Platinum is 1.125 Qantas points vs 1.25 on the Ultimate card. Depends on how much you spend especially with Qantas directly as to how the numbers pan out with the Platinum vs direct earn. You do get a choice with Platinum to transfer to other airlines which means Qantas have an incentive to continue offering transfer bonuses.

Just my 2 cents worth. YMMV.
Thank you the insight mate

How loyal are you to Qantas? There's potentially way more value in converting Amex MRs to Singapore KrisFlyer, for example.
I mean I am only loyal to Qantas because I fly with them a lot through works and therefore have accrued a good amount of points. I dont have any preference otherwise but can't see myself amounting lots of points through just leisure flights unfortunately.

Whats your main attraction of the insurance on domestic flights?

These days it would be my luggage not turning up. I've got a mountain of unused QF points at the moment so a small amount extra I'd get by using the QF card doesn't make much difference. MR points with Amex are also more attractive as I can transfer them to other programs if and when I need.

It's a bit like financial advice though. Everyone's situation is different. If you're looking to build your QF points balance then the Ultimate card would be the way to go, especially for QF domestic.

How loyal are you to Qantas? There's potentially way more value in converting Amex MRs to Singapore KrisFlyer, for example.
Yeh except SQ Krisflyer points expire eventually even given the multiple extensions and re- re -re extensions since COVID SQ is becoming increasingly less relevant in the AU market except of their decipels from South and South East Asia

Yeh except SQ Krisflyer points expire eventually even given the multiple extensions and re- re -re extensions since COVID SQ is becoming increasingly less relevant in the AU market except of their decipels from South and South East Asia
That's why you keep them in Amex until you need to redeem.

And if you think SQ redemptions are hard to come by, trying redeeming on Qantas!

Ok I
That's why you keep them in Amex until you need to redeem.

And if you think SQ redemptions are hard to come by, trying redeeming on Qantas!
know! Thats why my main frequent flyer programs are Lufthansa, United, American Airlines and Virgin Australia Kwantas only in by default because its our once again bailed out "nashnal cawwier" Otherwise , like for most of the Planet, Strayan airlines renamed to qantas is a non-entity.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and enjoy a better viewing experience, as well as full participation on our community forums.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to enjoy lots of other benefits and discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.

Staff online

• NM
    Enthusiast
Back