Qantas to operate 2 evacuation flights from Lebanon via Cyprus to Sydney

They can come close - in fact one could say 100% altruistic. QF's conduct in the 2002 Bali Bombing was exemplary by any measure. I will put out a link on the anniversary.

There are many many examples of QF (both company and staff) fantastic responses during an emergency. There was one outstanding exception (that may in the circumstances be excusable.withiut the unlimited resources of an oil rich stare) that people seem to want to punish them for eternity.

They can come close - in fact one could say 100% altruistic. QF's conduct in the 2002 Bali Bombing was exemplary by any measure. I will put out a link on the anniversary.

And simple reason is there’s a bunch of good Aussies working at QF at all levels, and I’d like to think most of us think enough about our country to help our fellow citizens out when we have the means to do so. Not everything has an ulterior motive.

I think if you keep reminding people you did a good thing when trying to get something in return, at some point it becomes less of a good thing. Help and expect nothing in return.

I think if you keep reminding people you did a good thing when trying to get something in return, at some point it becomes less of a good thing. Help and expect nothing in return.
And IMO these 2x787 is about Govt trying to remind the electorate that they did a good thing so please vote for us. A token gesture linked to an ulterior notive - one of those things Govt is very good at. I think QF is just simply responding to an official Govt request.

Acknowledgement needs to be given though because the Govt is doing some real work behind the scenes trying to secure seats on what remains of flights out of BEY. All that is generally behind the scenes and invisible - some of Govt best work is done this way.

What is the risk assessment regarding sending the 2x C130 into BEY? Currently they are also sitting in LCA

Last edited:
And IMO these 2x787 is about Govt trying to remind the electorate that they did a good thing so please vote for us. A token gesture linked to an ulterior notive - one of those things Govt is very good at. I think QF is just simply responding to an official Govt request.

Acknowledgement needs to be given though because the Govt is doing some real work behind the scenes trying to secure seats on what remains of flights out of BEY. All that is generally behind the scenes and invisible - some of Govt best work is done this way.

What is the risk assessment regarding sending the 2x C130 into BEY? Currently they are also sitting in LCA

No, I think the government has to offer evacuation flights. You could say anything the government does is for re-election but there is an expectation this assistance will be offered and we have a long history from both sides doing so.

It was a different foreign airline I was referring to, who is still reminding us of flights it did 4 years ago (charging $10K per seat mind you)

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Not saying the Govt should not but a token 2 in the setting of a 2xdaily commercial flights out of LCA. Maybe those flights are also full of people getting out and the QF flights are supplementary but 500 seats only?

It’s 4 - 2x QF and 2xQR.

There’s been sloppy reporting on this, likely due to the fact the government is “operating” the QF flights whereas the QR flights are chartered. I think the QR flights were added after the QF flights were announced, as that release said DFAT was working with other airlines to get more flights.

Of course there’s plenty of other nationalities trying to get out, not just Aussies, so I expect those RPT flights will sell out quick.

No, I think the government has to offer evacuation flights. You could say anything the government does is for re-election but there is an expectation this assistance will be offered and we have a long history from both sides doing so.

It was a different foreign airline I was referring to, who is still reminding us of flights it did 4 years ago (charging $10K per seat mind you)
And the charge was that high due to the Australian States putting such ridiculously low caps on international arrivals.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.

Staff online

• NM
    Enthusiast
Back