Rooted Android phone and financial apps

Lost Redditor

This is a question for my fellow tech nerds. I normally root my phones, but my newest phone, a Samsung Galaxy, has Knox which will permanently trip the "phone is rooted" flag in the chipset itself. It's irreversible.

I've heard some financial apps will not work on rooted devices, just wondering if anyone has had any issues with their financial apps or with any of the airline/travel apps on a rooted phone. Specifically
* Credit card institutions e.g. Virgin Money, NAB, Citi, AMEX
* PayPal, Wise
* QANTAS, Virgin, FlightAware, Trip logging apps

I will try, when I have more time on my hands, to set up all the apps I use on an older rooted phone, just curious if anyone has any experience with this.

Can‘t answer the specifics (iPhone user) but those who don’t understand are probably having a giggle about “rooted phones” and wondering if you should get a new one.

Obviously don’t bother with Bonza. That app is well and truly…

Why do you root these days? I stopped once getting back on Pixels and found that most of what i wanted was available in different non-root ways.
Several reasons. The one most relevant to this forum is ability to dual boot. I don't like the idea that airport security can force me to unlock my phone or refuse my entry if I don't. So I can have a different boot option and load a fake OS.

Several reasons. The one most relevant to this forum is ability to dual boot. I don't like the idea that airport security can force me to unlock my phone or refuse my entry if I don't. So I can have a different boot option and load a fake OS.
Now, that‘s just being a bit too clever!

Have you ever been asked to do that? I can’t say that I ever have with laptop or phones but these days, I steer clear of certain countries that might want to do that.

Are you trying to hide something illegal on your handset?

Gotcha. In that case, it doesn't matter which apps will or won't work on a rooted phone TODAY, as with the very next update of the app it could all change, and that happened to me when I was last rooted (4+ years ago).

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Now, that‘s just being a bit too clever!

Have you ever been asked to do that? I can’t say that I ever have with laptop or phones but these days, I steer clear of certain countries that might want to do that.
Not me personally, but several friends have been asked to do it by the TSA at both coasts of the USA

Are you trying to hide something illegal on your handset?
Maybe, maybe not, but I have a fundamental issue with the "if you've done nothing wrong you have nothing to hide" argument

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.

Staff online

• NM
    Enthusiast
Back