Someone in Sydney I can contact

Status
Not open for further replies.

albyd

Established Member
Hi,

After some extensive research - particularly on these forums, I've now decided to pair up a Citi Select card to a Westpac Altitude AMEX as they have the best earn rate for KrisFlyer. Tempted to just go Citi Select so I only have one account to administer and KF earn rate on Altitude is 1.5 vs 1.33 with Citi - guess it all adds up & I have $150 annual fee for life on Westpac. I've been speaking with Citi for what seems like forever to try to negotiate a discount. I know the easy way is to give them $100K to become a Citigold customer but I don't want to be deceitful for a one-off discount - I'd rather keep the $$ in my offset account and just consider a mortgage with Citi next time.

I have a Citi Platinum that's been paying off a large 4.9% life of the balance BT for a few years now so it's no longer my main transactional card. I'm now happy to pay this off to get the card going so I don't have a lot of recent activity to give them something to work with for the last few years but can prove activity I'll be transferring from other cards. Spending $10-15K/month on average. Mostly AMEX but VISA was $10K last month.

I've been trying to wrangle a fee concession as well as an upgrade from my Platinum as my current limit is several times the minimum limit and sufficient for my purposes and I don't want to apply as a new customer again (I know, I'm missing out on the sign up bonus points which is why I'd like to try to get some sort of concession at least for this year until my spend can speak for itself).

My Problem:
This has been going on for like 6 weeks now and I'm at the end of my tether. The staff in the call centre are powerless and the supervisor I have been dealing with is similarly so. So much so I last spoke with her 2 weeks ago and she told me to wait for her to call me back (had been 2 weeks since we'd last spoken and I'd been promised a call a week earlier). I made it clear on each occasion, if they waived the requirement to apply and gave me a concession, I would be keen to formally request an upgrade to Select. Today, I arrive home to find a shiny new Select card in my letterbox which I haven't requested or expected as none of these issues are resolved. They've previously closed my account when I simply threatened to close it but made it clear I wasn't - language barrier can be a problem.

Additionally, I wanted to pay out my remaining BT on platinum before transferring so I could have 55 days interest free from word go. Not sure if I've already lost it on Select if I proceed to activation.

I called the Priority Select number and it seems your $700 doesn't buy you any higher level of service than the $250 platinum (thought would be more like AMEX platinum - prompt and no language barrier). Been told to expect some feedback in a week. In the meantime, I'd like to get started on my Xmas Shopping and paying some bills I'd been holding back for Select. I'm not confident I will get a call back and if I do, that I will get anywhere. I want to get on with my life now. The staff in the call centre are awfully nice and polite and I've been similarly nice and understanding. Is there someone I can speak with in Sydney/Australia who can help me one way or the other and there isn't the language barrier?

One final thing - is it worth the annual fee? I liked AMEX Platinum ($900) but rewards is a motivator for me so moved to Bank Issued AMEX given the better earn rate. Have Altitude Platinum Plus on $150 annual fee & CBA Diamond for Free with Mortgage so finding it hard to see the value but great Select Visa earn & universal acceptance worth say $400 to me - no sure about $700 given other options.

Any advice or contact details would be appreciated - including on my prospects for getting any concession.

Thanks, Albyd.

Last edited:
Select has worked for Mrscove and myself.
Instead of trying to lower the annual fee you should look at ways to use the card for more things.
We pay $1,449 for the 2 different points earning cards and it has been a blast.

Citi are a royal pain in the backside.

I'd they charged you for something you didn't ask for, contact the financial ombudsman. Then Citi will call you from Australia and, in my experience, they'll do what you want.

It costs them $$$ everytime something gets escalated to the ombudsman

I have trouble following you, it's obviously me.

Concession for what may I ask?

I've just noticed it's a little long. Didn't look so long at 11pm. I'm trying to get a reduction in the annual fee on basis I'm not applying as "new" customer so should get some benefit as not rorting the system. (also have a couple of other "premium" cards on much lower fees so never hurts to ask).

Select has worked for Mrscove and myself.
Instead of trying to lower the annual fee you should look at ways to use the card for more things.
We pay $1,449 for the 2 different points earning cards and it has been a blast.

+1

After being a CBA / NAB lemming for years, cove et. al. had pointed me the way.

Now, my $$ goes on Citi Select (4/5) and EDR (1/5).

The 1/5 $$ to the EDR is for QFF while, like cove, my Select is for my KF.

Feel terrible when thinking of the wasted years staying at CBA/NAB.

I'd suggest you just give up and take it for what it is... If they wanted to give out cards with lower annual fees then they would have set it lower.

In terms of the interest free, you might be able to make a payment that covers the outstanding balance plus accrued interest (which will temperarily take you into credit) in order to 'reset' the card before you start spending.

This should then allow you to spend without interest accruing however you must speak to them and find out what the amount is and then I'd suggest paying a few dollars more just to cover any mistakes from their end...

Out of interest, do you meet all of the requirements if you had applied as a new customer? I don't meet the income qualification but could probably up my limit to the required minimum on my existing card if they would allow me to switch cards...

+1

After being a CBA / NAB lemming for years, cove et. al. had pointed me the way.

Now, my $$ goes on Citi Select (4/5) and EDR (1/5).

The 1/5 $$ to the EDR is for QFF while, like cove, my Select is for my KF.

Feel terrible when thinking of the wasted years staying at CBA/NAB.

I agree. I know what you mean. Select is so much better from a points earn perspective than a standard bank issued MC/Visa apart from the other benefits cove has kindly pointed out. Were you using the bank issued AMEX with CBA/NAB or just the standard MC/Visa? The bank issued AMEX cards especially on CBA Diamond & Westpac Altitude programs have made them very attractive from points earn perspective. Easy to get sidetracked by the points and miss the point of the whole package. Just wondering what sort of spend you're putting through? I wonder whether I'm spending enough (keep thinking in terms of 1.1% average rebate on gift cards=$70K spend to break-even - although the FK points are worth more).

I'd suggest you just give up and take it for what it is... If they wanted to give out cards with lower annual fees then they would have set it lower.

In terms of the interest free, you might be able to make a payment that covers the outstanding balance plus accrued interest (which will temperarily take you into credit) in order to 'reset' the card before you start spending.

This should then allow you to spend without interest accruing however you must speak to them and find out what the amount is and then I'd suggest paying a few dollars more just to cover any mistakes from their end...

Out of interest, do you meet all of the requirements if you had applied as a new customer? I don't meet the income qualification but could probably up my limit to the required minimum on my existing card if they would allow me to switch cards...

I'm starting to agree I either accept the fee and Citi's service for what it is or move on. Thanks also for the info that I can reclaim my interest free period without waiting for the next billing cycle if I put the account in credit. I meet the income requirements for the Select card if I'd applied as a new customer. I just didn't want to when I've been a good customer (they keep telling me) of over 10 years standing and I don't want an extra unnecessary hit to my credit file for credit I already have. Having said that, not sure with tighter enforced credit standards whether they'd still give me the limit I have. Obvious downside is no bonus points.

Bank-issued Card Lemming

I agree. I know what you mean. Select is so much better from a points earn perspective than a standard bank issued MC/Visa apart from the other benefits cove has kindly pointed out. Were you using the bank issued AMEX with CBA/NAB or just the standard MC/Visa? The bank issued AMEX cards especially on CBA Diamond & Westpac Altitude programs have made them very attractive from points earn perspective. Easy to get sidetracked by the points and miss the point of the whole package. Just wondering what sort of spend you're putting through? I wonder whether I'm spending enough (keep thinking in terms of 1.1% average rebate on gift cards=$70K spend to break-even - although the FK points are worth more).

I used to use AMEX whenever it could be accepted, Visa otherwise [now, CITI SELECT + EDR]

I think we should not get lost into thinking "need to spend... to get the points".

Rather, you spend whatever you need to spend on, but as a collateral outcome, try to optimise the point earning.

That's the whole issue of me being a lemming for years - did not stop & act to maximise the point-earning potential.

No thought on churning cards !

No thought on swapping cards !

That's my definition of a card lemming.

Not again - never, ever !

Thanks to AFF's Cove & Co.

Re: Bank-issued Card Lemming

I used to use AMEX whenever it could be accepted, Visa otherwise [now, CITI SELECT + EDR]

I think we should not get lost into thinking "need to spend... to get the points".

Rather, you spend whatever you need to spend on, but as a collateral outcome, try to optimise the point earning.

That's the whole issue of me being a lemming for years - did not stop & act to maximise the point-earning potential.

No thought on churning cards !

No thought on swapping cards !

That's my definition of a card lemming.

Not again - never, ever !

Thanks to AFF's Cove & Co.

Thanks for confirming that. I agree, not a great idea to spend to get points but just use it for expenditure you would've made anyway. I've been a points afficionado though to now, I've been focused on cashback/gift cards. This is where the Westpac Altitude AMEX excels up to approx 1.7% rebate on this measure. Citi Select is up to 1.1% on certain gift cards (vs average 0.5%-0.6% on most bank issued MC/Visa). I understand that using my Citi points for KF business/upgrades will yield a better return. I like flying SQ and if I can get to the front of the plane spending what I usually spend anyway, I'm all for it - so much so I have all family members as supplementaries to help me along. Way I see it, Altitude AMEX @ 1.5 KF (or 1.7% on Gift Cards if I don't redeem for KF) and Citi Select at 1.33 KF (or 1.1% on gift cards) is best combination. Sounds like you're concentrating spending on one card for KF and not bothering with juggling another card - AMEX. I'm thinking of doing this for simplicity but also don't mind the extra KF from AMEX. I'll need to make a decision here. Interested to her your opinions.

I've just heard back from citi and they've given me a rebate on first year's Select fee so I'm keen to learn more about your experiences on these forums as well as contribute my own. I'm trying not to churn anymore as been told bad for my credit rating.

Thanks for the help and advice so far :)

Thanks for confirming that. I agree, not a great idea to spend to get points but just use it for expenditure you would've made anyway. I've been a points afficionado though to now, I've been focused on cashback/gift cards. This is where the Westpac Altitude AMEX excels up to approx 1.7% rebate on this measure. Citi Select is up to 1.1% on certain gift cards (vs average 0.5%-0.6% on most bank issued MC/Visa). I understand that using my Citi points for KF business/upgrades will yield a better return. I like flying SQ and if I can get to the front of the plane spending what I usually spend anyway, I'm all for it - so much so I have all family members as supplementaries to help me along. Way I see it, Altitude AMEX @ 1.5 KF (or 1.7% on Gift Cards if I don't redeem for KF) and Citi Select at 1.33 KF (or 1.1% on gift cards) is best combination. Sounds like you're concentrating spending on one card for KF and not bothering with juggling another card - AMEX. I'm thinking of doing this for simplicity but also don't mind the extra KF from AMEX. I'll need to make a decision here. Interested to her your opinions.

I've just heard back from citi and they've given me a rebate on first year's Select fee so I'm keen to learn more about your experiences on these forums as well as contribute my own. I'm trying not to churn anymore as been told bad for my credit rating.

Thanks for the help and advice so far :)

I also use EDR (Woolworths) for QFF points.

No, I do not like AMEX now that I have the Citibank Select (it's just me, others do use them).

I'd like to learn how you obtain the first year's fee rebate.

They offered or you requested, if so, what's the basis for your request ?

I have no other ACs with Citibank.

I also use EDR (Woolworths) for QFF points.

No, I do not like AMEX now that I have the Citibank Select (it's just me, others do use them).

I'd like to learn how you obtain the first year's fee rebate.

They offered or you requested, if so, what's the basis for your request ?

I have no other ACs with Citibank.

I've been at it for what seems like 6 weeks now - firstly to get them to agree to the upgrade without applying as a new customer then to agreeing to a rebate of some sort.Mymain argument was I've been a customer for over 10 years good standing which they keep telling me makes me an "important" customer. Also I pointed out I'm not trying to rort the system by applying as a new customer to get the sign on points so should get something in lieu of it. Seems to have worked. They've verbally offered me pro rata for the rest of my membership year which they said is $466 and 12% purchase interest rate (which I'm not keen on as I pay at the end of each month). They've promised to send everything in writing so I'll know everything soon but happy enough to start.

Have to wait for payment of balance from platinum to clear before I can buy with interest free period again ... can't wait. I'm thinking I'll make it my only card for simplicity sake and not worry about asking if AMEX is accepted/surcharged anymore. Again, only because I want to go KF route rather than gift card route.

Last edited:

I've been at it for what seems like 6 weeks now - firstly to get them to agree to the upgrade without applying as a new customer then to agreeing to a rebate of some sort.Mymain argument was I've been a customer for over 10 years good standing which they keep telling me makes me an "important" customer. Also I pointed out I'm not trying to rort the system by applying as a new customer to get the sign on points so should get something in lieu of it. Seems to have worked. They've verbally offered me pro rata for the rest of my membership year which they said is $466 and 12% purchase interest rate (which I'm not keen on as I pay at the end of each month). They've promised to send everything in writing so I'll know everything soon but happy enough to start.

Have to wait for payment of balance from platinum to clear before I can buy with interest free period again ... can't wait. I'm thinking I'll make it my only card for simplicity sake and not worry about asking if AMEX is accepted/surcharged anymore. Again, only because I want to go KF route rather than gift card route.

I agree with your thinking: KF rather than more toasters or full-price cameras.

As I am new to Citibank so there is no - and I did not expect any - rebate of any nature. A full $700 p.a. for me !

There is some marginal benefits in having another AMEX but you must be prepared for (i) another set of annual fee (e.g. $250 for Westpac Singapore Platinum) and (ii) some marginal increase in point earning potential (1.5 vs. 1.33 KF per $ spending).

Now, that is offset - IMHO - by the limited AMEX acceptance (vis a vis VISA) and the higher CC charge (1.5% vs 0.48% - from ATO, for example).

Others have better AMEX arrangement but for a mere mortal like me, it does not seem attractive at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and enjoy a better viewing experience, as well as full participation on our community forums.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to enjoy lots of other benefits and discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.

Recent Posts

Back