Travel Tripod Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

qkslvr

Hi,
Does anyone have any recommendations on tripods they find are easy to travel with? Particularly ones that are sturdy enough for a DSLR (Canon 60D with 24-105mm) and small enough to fit in a carry on bag.

I'm tossing up between the MeFoto range - Roadtrip or Globetrotter, or The Nest Traveller 6264. Size when folded down is my primary concern, as I'm limited to my carry on length of 40cm, followed by a comfortable shooting height, say no less than 150cm, and around the $300 price point.

Would be great to hear about your choice of tripod and how you find travelling with it, particularly when it comes to overseas travel.

Cheers :cool:

I used to travel with such - in the end I really could not find any that would let me properly go hand luggage only so gave it away.

My Manfrotto monopod and tripod stay at home when I go overseas - I have one of these for travel: Portable Lightweight DSLR Tripod | GorillaPod SLR-Zoom with my Manfrotto Ball head attached.

Although it doesn't get you up very high, it is definitely sturdy enough to carry my trusty Nikon D70s and 18-200 VR lens (around 1.2kg). It's much more practical than a standard tripod, as you can wrap it around all sorts of things - the rubberised rings on each sphere are quite sticky, and as a result wrapping it around a light pole is no problem. It also fits in the top pocket of my Lowepro Slingshot backpack, curled up.

Thanks for the replies. I ended up finding a Mefoto Roadtrip on Ebay...used only once apparently, we'll see. Ill report back in case anyone is interested.

I have a carbon fibre Manfrotto which comfortably fits into carry on luggage, and causes no issues at the security gates.

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

So I ended up purchasing a (barely)used MeFoto Roadtrip in red ....oooooo....

Have taken it out a couple of times and so far so good. Nice and light, but still feels sturdy. Will be taking it to Iceland in a few days and will give it a good roadtest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back