Status
Not open for further replies.

carts79

Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Platinum
Hi All,

From what I can gather on the VFF website, I can book a full flight using points, but can't upgrade from Flexi Economy to Business on a VA coded MEL>SIN SQ flight

Can anyone confirm if I've got this right, and why this is the case?

I'm on Gold FF, & have enough points based on the miles calculation to upgrade, but not purchase a flight outright

Thanks in advance!

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Hi All,

From what I can gather on the VFF website, I can book a full flight using points, but can't upgrade from Flexi Economy to Business on a VA coded MEL>SIN SQ flight

Can anyone confirm if I've got this right, and why this is the case?

I'm on Gold FF, & have enough points based on the miles calculation to upgrade, but not purchase a flight outright

Thanks in advance!

you can only upgrade on a VA marketed and operated flight . As this flight is operated by SQ you can't upgrade

This is the bit where VA fails when competing with QANTAS.

International upgrades would be the single biggest item on my wish list as a platinum VFF.

International upgrades would be the single biggest item on my wish list as a platinum VFF.

how is it a fail? sure VA has a smaller international network , but one advantage of a Velocity upgrade is you can confirm it up to 331 days in advance ( or when you make your booking)... not a lucky lottery like QF

huh?!

You can't upgrade on Qantas fight numbers using QFF points unless the aircraft us QF operated.

In reality, the VA system is better if you are a VA SG or WP.

In fact in one can't upgrade* on the vast majority of airlines with "partner miles" or instruments.... the few exceptions (UA>LH fr'instance) only highlight the fact.....

* Sorry, I don't count the *A upgrade system.... Pricey in points/miles and only from the VERY highest Y fares...

OK, maybe I have missed something.

I am VFF WP. How do I upgrade a seat when flying on a VA ticket to say SYD > LHR?

I know how to do this with QANTAS, how do I do it with VA?

Last edited:

You can only upgrade VA-operated sectors. If you're flying on VA29 or VA30, call and ask for an upgrade. If upgrade seats are available it will be confirmed on the spot - there are none of the upgrade lottery shennanigans that the QF system has.

Last edited:
OK, maybe I have missed something.

I am VFF WP. How do I upgrade a seat when flying on a VA ticket to say SYD > LHR?

Point being made is you cannot do it with QF if for instance you fly EK metal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back