Using Qantas Amex ultimate travel credits

redbatz

Hi, I was looking to use my credits, but first checked the flights etc on Qantas. Then went to Amex travel to book.
Economy flights were about $10 more expensive.
But as I would like start earning a few status credits for my next year, I looked at the business seats which were $699 Adel to Bris one way which would use my credits and then some. However on Amex travel
- it was double? over $1300 !! So I rang to ask why so much difference - the operator was surprised also, but checked and came up same prices as I got on both sites. Then he checked his back end computers and could not get better. So he said would keep checking and ring me back. So called me and basically said they could not do better. I believe similar has
happened to me before - so I wonder a bit about the value of the card - or has anyone had similar experiences etc?

This is a known problem with Amex Travel. I've seen significant fare price differences in economy too.

Amex tried to tell me it must be a QF sale and not available to third parties. Was total BS as those cheaper flights were available through other OTAs.

Yeah, that's basically what they told me. Interesting. Out of curiosity I should check some other travel sites and see what they come up with.

Yeah, that's basically what they told me. Interesting. Out of curiosity I should check some other travel sites and see what they come up with.

Google flights is what I used and it listed several other providers offering the same as the direct QF rate.

Just did a check,. Tried flight centre, expedia , webjet - all same prices as Qantas or few $ more, Trip advisor via Aunt Betty $4 less. But Booking.cam same price as Amex.? I wonder if they are connected
or use the same booking platform or whatever?

We had the same issue redeeming our credit, but that was more to do with the fare on the Qantas website being a sale fare, and the fare on the Amex website being the next fare class up (so more points, status credits, I think free seat selection, and eligibility to put in for an upgrade should we choose to).

I believe the sale fares are rarely, if ever, available through Amex.

We had the same issue redeeming our credit, but that was more to do with the fare on the Qantas website being a sale fare, and the fare on the Amex website being the next fare class up (so more points, status credits, I think free seat selection, and eligibility to put in for an upgrade should we choose to).

I believe the sale fares are rarely, if ever, available through Amex.
Thanks. Understand that - but this one not a sale fare and it was a business on domestic flight so already seat selection and cant upgrade anyway.

I have this card, and am closing it because of this - rest assured it's done on purpose, and it's a total ripoff. Very little of the $450 flight credit is actual credit - given the "Amex markup". It's a marketing ploy.

I have this card, and am closing it because of this - rest assured it's done on purpose, and it's a total ripoff. Very little of the $450 flight credit is actual credit - given the "Amex markup". It's a marketing ploy.
Yeah, I downgraded from Ultimate to Discovery for exactly this, and told them why. It's not much of a 'benefit' when the flights are more expensive through Amex to begin with, or when you have to deliberately buy a more expensive ticket just to get over the $450 threshold. Amex customer service has also declined horribly, even with the Plat Card. I always get out through to offshore operators, and when I complain about the latest thing they've screwed up on my account, they eventually fix it whole also breaking something else. I think I'm up to 10 phone calls recently as a follow on from what should have been one single phone call... and there are still 2 things broken. Dreading call 11 - they're worse than Citi these days.

Amex used to offer exact same pricing as QF. I think it was at the end of last year that it changed. I haven't used my credit this year but will bite the bullet and buy some way more expensive than Qantas fare just to use it, then cancel the card.

Hi, I was looking to use my credits, but first checked the flights etc on Qantas. Then went to Amex travel to book.
Economy flights were about $10 more expensive.
But as I would like start earning a few status credits for my next year, I looked at the business seats which were $699 Adel to Bris one way which would use my credits and then some. However on Amex travel
- it was double? over $1300 !! So I rang to ask why so much difference - the operator was surprised also, but checked and came up same prices as I got on both sites. Then he checked his back end computers and could not get better. So he said would keep checking and ring me back. So called me and basically said they could not do better. I believe similar has
happened to me before - so I wonder a bit about the value of the card - or has anyone had similar experiences etc?
Hi, Ive just used my $450 travel credit for the first time by booking Syd-Queenstown NZ through Amex Travel. My friend booked at the same time, same flights thru the Qantas site. The price difference was $20 more for me thru Amex travel plus I did not get free seat selection, she did. We are both Qantas FF. I logged into Qantas FF to look at my booking and it only gives me the option of paying $15 each way for standard seat selection. Has anyone else NOT got free seat selection when using the $450 travel credit?

I was able to select seats on flights booked with my Amex credit but I have status. It was a couple of years ago that QF started charging pax who book via 3rd parties for seat selection if they don't have status.

Hi, Ive just used my $450 travel credit for the first time by booking Syd-Queenstown NZ through Amex Travel. My friend booked at the same time, same flights thru the Qantas site. The price difference was $20 more for me thru Amex travel plus I did not get free seat selection, she did. We are both Qantas FF. I logged into Qantas FF to look at my booking and it only gives me the option of paying $15 each way for standard seat selection. Has anyone else NOT got free seat selection when using the $450 travel credit?

Going to assume you're bronze. See https://www.qantas.com/au/en/travel...ry-seat-selection:en:nn#complimentary-seating

My bolding below

Standard Seat Selection is complimentary when:

• travelling on any Qantas operated domestic service,
  • travelling internationally in Economy on a Saver or Flex fare,
  • travelling internationally in First, Business or Premium Economy,
  • travelling internationally as a Platinum One, Platinum, Gold or Silver Qantas Frequent Flyer or equivalent oneworld and Emirates Skywards Frequent Flyer,
  • travelling internationally as a Bronze Qantas Frequent Flyer on any Qantas operated flight departing from Australia when you book directly with Qantas,
  • travelling on an Economy Classic Flight Reward, or
  • on the same booking and travelling with any of the above mentioned travellers.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and enjoy a better viewing experience, as well as full participation on our community forums.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to enjoy lots of other benefits and discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back