VA/Velocity Partner Status benefits flying Air Canada

michaele

There’s been posts/quotes from the AC rep in the past year or two about AC honoring VA status properly like the other partners (UA/SQ/EY) - anyone heard anything lately?

Really hard work holding 2x platinum from both VA and QF and trying to have any basic benefits flying around Canada. Unsure why it’s so poor considering all the other partners have got it sorted out. Any insight or timelines I may have missed would be appreciated!

So far it's just access to Air Canada operated lounges.

I don't expect to see any more benefits added in the near future. Perhaps at some point, but I'm not holding my breath.

Be warned that the lounge access can be hit or miss. Some agents have never even heard of Virgin Australia and it can take a bit of explaining and the agent getting help from a manager to get entry.

Be warned that the lounge access can be hit or miss. Some agents have never even heard of Virgin Australia and it can take a bit of explaining and the agent getting help from a manager to get entry.

This is very true. I mainly use the Maple Leaf Lounges in Vancouver, Toronto and Los Angeles and although I had trouble in the earlier days of the Virgin-AC partnership, I usually get in without too much hassle these days.

But a few months ago I was trying to access the Maple Leaf lounge at New York LGA when flying to Montreal, and had to have a debate with the lounge dragon lady at the front desk. She insisted that "this is a Star Alliance lounge" and that I couldn't come in because VA is not in Star Alliance. I eventually convinced her that it is also an Air Canada lounge and that Air Canada have a partnership with VA outside of Star Alliance, so she finally scanned my VA membership card and sure enough, I was allowed in.

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

This is very true. I mainly use the Maple Leaf Lounges in Vancouver, Toronto and Los Angeles and although I had trouble in the earlier days of the Virgin-AC partnership, I usually get in without too much hassle these days.

But a few months ago I was trying to access the Maple Leaf lounge at New York LGA when flying to Montreal, and had to have a debate with the lounge dragon lady at the front desk. She insisted that "this is a Star Alliance lounge" and that I couldn't come in because VA is not in Star Alliance. I eventually convinced her that it is also an Air Canada lounge and that Air Canada have a partnership with VA outside of Star Alliance, so she finally scanned my VA membership card and sure enough, I was allowed in.
Ironically the IT systems were set up correctly and the agent was freelancing. Trust your systems!

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.

Staff online

Back