What's with QF291 - Why is it perennially delayed?

tdimdad

Established Member
Looking at the punctuality of QF291 (SYD-SIN), it's been rather weak recently and is trending to more delays. The aircraft is usually early enough back to SYD in the mornings so it's the turnaround that's proving to be challenge.

From FR24, I took the last eight weeks of arrival times. 33% of flights were delayed at least 45 mins, 31% at least 15 mins, 6% canceled (3 flights) and only 31% arrived within 15 mins of scheduled time (a few ahead of schedule)

What's going on this this one?

2024-05-13 22_11_59-Book1 - Excel.png

In the past week, it's been better with one arrival 32 minutes late at the SIN gate. I allow five minutes as an arbitrary touchdown (the time FR24 shows) to gate timing. Five mins. will rarely be completely accurate: IIRC my experience at SIN has been it usually takes longer.

As a general comment, QFi is often slow in turning round international flights in Australia. Perhaps it's suddenly discovered that there are minor maintenance issues, or maybe a qualified running crew isn't immediately available.

For instance yesterday, QF7 was displaying as departing two hours late at 1750 hours: this blew out to c.1905 hours.

I will monitor QF291 on occasion through the QF-specific delays and cancellations thread. Thank you for the reminder that this route has a Finnair aircraft, like the SYD-BKK-SYD sectors.

In the past week, it's been better with one arrival 32 minutes late at the SIN gate. I allow five minutes as an arbitrary touchdown (the time FR24 shows) to gate timing. Five mins. will rarely be completely accurate: IIRC my experience at SIN has been it usually takes longer.

As a general comment, QFi is often slow in turning round international flights in Australia. Perhaps it's suddenly discovered that there are minor maintenance issues, or maybe a qualified running crew isn't immediately available.

For instance yesterday, QF7 was displaying as departing two hours late at 1750 hours: this blew out to c.1905 hours.

I will monitor QF291 on occasion through the QF-specific delays and cancellations thread. Thank you for the reminder that this route has a Finnair aircraft, like the SYD-BKK-SYD sectors.
Isn't it also running AY crew for another year and a half or so. So has nothing to do with QF crews.

It would have various connections off early morning arrivals, it may have been less to do with QF291 itself but delays to other inbounds.

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Last Sunday's QF291? This one had a few things going against it too:
  • Bay 6 for departure, which often delays boarding due to using buses
  • Runway change from 34 direction to 16 direction not long before pushback. They were #7 in queue for 16R after push
  • Holding on arrival - traffic

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.

Staff online

• NM
    Enthusiast
Back