Should I cancel my card first before applying for the next card? (St. George Amplify, KF)

Hi all, pretty new points collector here, applied for the St. George Amplify Signature card around Jan with a $15k limit and have hit the $12k spend fairly quickly with all the points still in the St. George system. I'm pretty keen to jump onto the next card but there are a few things that's causing me to hesitate and hoping that I can get some clarification here.

Would it be better for me to have the St. George card completely closed before applying for the next card? I'm thinking of going for the Citibank Prestige Card due to the large amount of points. Right now the only credit I have under my name is the $15k St. George card and I don't mind closing it off completely and switching to using my debit Visa for now whilst waiting for all that to process before applying for the Citibank, especially since the Citibank minimum limit is $20k which means that if I have both open at the same time it represents a $35k credit under my name albeit for a short coexisting period only.

The next consideration I have when closing the St. George card it means I'll have to transfer the points out. I'm leaning towards staying within the KrisFlyer & Velocity ecosystem due to the partnership and transferable points between the two airlines, the minor downside to KF being the rolling 3 years period for which points have to be used or they'll expire. Would a way around that be to transfer the points to Velocity and let them sit there while I accumulate Velocity points and then converting them across when I finally want to use them in KF? I know I'll lose some points to conversion but at least that way I won't have to stress about using them up within a 3 year period for each stack of points I convert as I churn through the bank rewards card. These are probably the two main things crossing my mind right now and appreciate any insight as well, cheers

Would it be better for me to have the St. George card completely closed before applying for the next card?
Yes, but closure letter is all that you need.
The next consideration I have when closing the St. George card it means I'll have to transfer the points out.

Unless you have an immediate need with KF, transfer to Velocity. Very easy to keep them alive in that system.

Yes, but closure letter is all that you need.
Is the date of the closure letter the date from which to count before one may apply again as a "new" customer (for the sake of bonus offers which state "must not have held a ___ card in the past __ years/months)?

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back