2 Slices of New Zealand Heaven

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bundy Bear

Established Member
Hawkes Bay Nu Ziland was choice eh bro.

Another travel trip planned from what I read on the other board, a quick weekend trip to New Zealand, this time I didn’t stay with the relatives but I did ring them to say hi and tell them I was using their address for the arrivals card.

I booked the flights in different parts; Air New Zealand is heavily into promotion of their online bookings through www.airnz.co.nz and www.grabaseat.co.nz which is used for limited release of cheap domestic and trans tasman flights.

I ended up finding some cheap seats available on grabaseat to get me from Auckland to Napier and used the remaining of my Air NZ airpoints account to get from Napier back to Auckland.

I brought a cheap Qantas trans Tasman flight which was actually cheaper than Pacific Blue. I had been planning to catch the Lan A340 for a few years and luckily I was able to book a cheap business class fare out of Auckland back to Sydney and used some points to get from Sydney back to Brisbane on Qantas in business class.

10Dec QF125 BNE-AKL 734-400 ZK-JTS Dep 5:45PM 11C

I left work soon after 4:00pm with a quick trip to the airport; thanks to the new completed road works; which meant a 20 minute trip to Brisbane airport could now be done in 10 minutes to the international terminal. So I was at the airport quickly but then spent about 10 minutes looking for the check in desks; it’s been a few years since I departed Brisbane on a Qantas international flight. I was probably one of the last to check in and I was surprised that the check in person confirmed to make sure that exit row was ok. I had already filled out the outwards immigration card before getting to the terminal so it was down stairs through security and passport control. Australia for some reason likes to find out where we are traveling; why and for how long; I guess it keeps someone in a job and gives very good passenger movement data for airlines and the Australian government on where everybody is going.

After getting through passport control and customs I headed to the Qantas international lounge for a few drinks before my flight. The food options aren’t very good in the lounges but the beer was a good way to relax before my flight. Surprising the lounge was quite full as the lunch time departure of the Qantas flight to LA had been delayed over 5 hours. The LA flight had just been called so the lounge was almost empty by the time my flight was called.

The flight was called at 30 minutes before the flight departure which I thought was a little early I guess they wanted us out of the lounge so that the staff could clean up and go home. There are no evening Qantas departures once the Qantas flight to Auckland has departed.

The flight was more than 90% full I didn’t see many spare seats so I was lucky to have the legroom of the exit row.

The aircraft is a New Zealand registered aircraft with New Zealand cabin crew. Qantas stopped flying on New Zealand domestic market but Qantas NZ(Jetconnect) still operate the trans Tasman flights on the 737s.

The flight got underway on time with the standard safety briefing. The usual 12 channel audio system was running with a movie to be played on the 3 hour journey across the Tasman. The flight was pleasant; with a nice meal; the movie was good; and the New Zealand cabin crew were friendly and efficient.

phpiABxpN.jpeg

We arrived in Auckland on schedule just before midnight. For the first time I got directed to use an epassport machine; which scans your passport; takes a picture of you then the gate opens up and lets you through. The bag came off the carousel quickly; I had to check it in as I was carrying liquids. Yes you can buy coke in New Zealand but I wasn’t going to have time to stop by a supermarket to collect some, and I knew that our host would appreciate the gift.

Another FT member Anat0l was waiting for me as I came out to the general arrivals area. As we had both arrived late, we would camp out at the international terminal. We heard some good things about the Auckland International Airport; Nice 4 seaters without arm rests; perfect to lie down and get some sleep for a few hours before the usual airport noise of departing flights and missing passengers generally starts after 5:00am. I had brought with me a Jetstar blanket that I had found on a previous flight; the Qantas one on the flight over would have been better as it was thicker but I had come prepared so no need to get greedy and grab a better version.

I probably got about 3 hours sleep and as the airport started to wake up we got up packed up and headed over to the Air New Zealand domestic terminal about 10 minutes walk away.

11Dec NZ8411 AKL-NPE Dash8-300 ZK-NEF Dep 9:30AM 1D

New Zealand domestic check in is probably the best in the world. You are directed to a circle of check in machines; where you check in and print off your own boarding pass and baggage tag; Instructions are given on how to use the baggage tag which you then put on the carousel yourself. There is an attendant watching but if you can do it yourself then there is no need for assistance. I had read “check-in is hardly even check in anymore. I would say it’s more of a fly-through drop off!” which is exactly right.

As Anat0l had Star Alliance Gold status we were able to use the Air NZ domestic lounge; where we were able to get a shower and some breakfast. After about 2 hours in the lounge our flight was called and we went downstairs to the Air NZ link gates.

2 boarding passes scanners are used to check passengers through then you walk along an undercover walk way to your plane. Plane was about 60% full and we had the first row to ourselves. On the flight down to Napier we were served a cup of water then another cup for a hot beverage with a cookie was served. Tea and coffee were available. The cups show one of Air NZ 27 domestic destinations and surprisingly the destination featured on todays cup was Napier.

Napier.

phpr03STt.jpeg

Will met us both when we arrived into Napier being the first 2 off the plane and then headed into town to play some mini golf and then sat around for a few hours waiting the others to turn up. I had last been to Napier 29 years ago and the only thing I remember was that I played mini golf.

Dinner at East Pier was nice; the chips were good with a good selection of wine or beer.

We all woke up early with a heavy schedule of events, a visit to a honey shop, cheese shop for a snack and then onto a winery for lunch. Then we did a quick tour of the town and went up to a lookout.

Saturday night dinner was at Elephant Hill; the wine and food was good but with one important thing missing off the menu. Fortunately a nice elderly gentleman with a borrowed motor vehicle kindly picked some up for Will(he has a strange diet) from the local fush and chup shop - just seconds shy of the 8pm closing time.

Sunday was another busy schedule with a stop off at the local chocolate factory and wine tasting at 2 more wineries, a wine tour fitted in there somewhere.

13Dec NZ8418 NPE-AKL Dash8-300 ZK-NET Dep 6:50PM 9C

After a great weekend it was back to the airport where the 3 of us checked in. The Star Alliance Gold member in our group got a seat in row 1 while I and the other person got seats in row 9. I was happy to get a different part of the plane so I kept my seat. Star Alliance Gold gets lounge access without guests in New Zealand regional airports; but I guess once one of your friends has the Star Gold card which you swipe then give you the access to the non attended lounge. A kitchen/cleaner type person must come past every so often to refill the fridge and do a general tidy up.

After a few beers and a browse of the free wifi the plane landed and it was time to head to the gate. The service was exactly the same as the way down; this time the cups featured Wellington.

14Dec LA801 AKL-SYD A340-300 CC-CQE Dep 5:50AM 1C

Getting up at 3:30am to catch an international flight at 5:50am is no fun especially when it’s really 12:30am back home and I was planning at being at work by 11:00am.

Shower, pack and down stairs for the shuttle at 4:00am wasn’t so bad; I guess at that hour your mind is on autopilot so you just do it.
A shuttle bus arrived at 4:00am to take us to the airport where we checked in filled out a departure card and then go through passport control and security. New Zealand like Australia likes to keep track of everyone

We went to the Qantas lounge; who can drink or eat anything at that hour I have no idea; so I just had a juice. The flight was called rather early almost 45 minutes early; but this gave me enough time to buy some New Zealand chocolate bars before boarding the flight.

We were on the plane by 5:30am and then it was almost 30 minutes before we pushed back; there was a preflight drink; I think I just had the water. The seats were good with a good legroom especially in the first row. The Lan flight has to cabins for business class a 5 row front section and 2 row in a separate section which on this flight was empty.

php36vQlK.jpeg

From some advertising blurb which I guess is the best way to sum it up.

LAN has completed the reconfiguration of its new long haul aircraft fleet with a two class cabin featuring a totally new business class offering and a restyled economy class;
42 sleeper seats with 180 degree full flat recline, a spacious 74 inches of legroom between each seat and access to an all-new video on demand system, featuring 44 movies, including the most recent blockbuster and more than 90 TV programs from all over the world;

We were served a breakfast on this flight across the Tasman.

Express Breakfast
To start
Orange Juice, tea or coffee
Yoghurt and cereal
Fresh seasonal fruit
Croissant, white bread; whole wheat bread, toast and water crackers, with butter and preserves
Main dishes
Fresh omelette with mushroom ragout and roasted tomato
Or
Variety of hams and cheese

Full wine menu was available and spirits. Didn’t even go and look at that list.

Lan Chile was named as the “Best Airline in South America” in the 2008 and 2009 Skytrax awards for airline excellences, LAN and its allilliate airlines servce more than 50 South American destinations, from the hub airports of Santiago in Chile.

Movies were in both English and Spanish; my first choice wasn’t available so I watched my 2nd choice; which I think was called Post Grad; which had not even been released in Australia yet.
The cabin crew was friendly with good English, the food and the service was good and the IFE was of a high standard.

We were late departing Auckland and never made up any time and so were late arriving into Sydney.

php3HHrFF.jpeg

14Dec QF516 SYD-BNE 767-338 VH-OGL Dep 10:05AM 2J

After going through passport control, had to do it twice as I left the form somewhere and then through customs(baggage inspection) which was easy even after I declared the food I had with me; it was over to the Qantas domestic check in which is part of the International terminal. You are checked in and then go through security and wait for a bus to take you over to the domestic terminal.

The flight was fairly routine with a mid morning snack; the usual 12 channel radio with overhead screens showing the morning news and a short feature program.

It was a very pleasant weekend, a new airport; Napier; a new airline Lan Chile and a new aircraft type A340-300. It was a very pleasant weekend with a great group of friends who I have all met before but now in a different part of the world.

The things I saw on this trip meant that I had to plan a trip back to New Zealand,

The second slice of New Zealand heaven.

Another trip to New Zealand; my New Zealand cousin who now lives in the US was heading back to NZ for a couple of weeks for a holiday and I thought I should head over to NZ for an extra long weekend. There were a few airlines that I had seen on my previous NZ trip that I wanted to try out. So with a schedule in place I booked some flights.

10-Feb-10
BNE AKL QF125 6C 1426 Qantas 737-400 ZK-JTS

Qantas again came up trumps with a good schedule at an agreeable price. The Qantas evening departure means that I can get a full days work in before heading to the airport. This time I was able to check in quickly and then headed downstairs through security. I had recently purchased a new netbook computer and I wanted to reclaim my GST. After finding the office they recently moved it I went to the Qantas lounge for a few beers. The flight was called; Qantas used the same plane as last time. The flight departed about 10 minutes early.

I was very lucky to get myself a row of 3 seats seems the person in 6A cancelled their ticket or got an upgrade in the 24 hours before the flight as there were not that many spare seats and no 3 seaters with just one person in them.

There were 2 choices of hot meals; I chose the beef Korma with rice.

Qantas showed a movie on the over screen; seems like Qantas don’t align their movie schedule with what is listed on the website, the movie they showed was The Invention of lying but I had to put up with this Qantas design #fail.

66622375.jpg

We arrived into Auckland close to midnight, again I was directed to the passport machine. Bags came out quickly and I was outside waiting for the hotel shuttle within 20 minutes; even with a stop for inbound duty free, I wasn’t sleeping at the airport this time around.

11-Feb-10
AKL NPE CV596 4A 204 Air Chathams CV580

FC_nowm.file

I noticed an unusual aircraft when boarding the Dash 8 at Auckland airport back in December and wondered who owned it and where you could get a ride on it. With a bit of airliners.net searching and a few PMs between another member I was able to get myself a ride on it.

I got up at 8:00am and headed back to the airport to catch up with my cousin who was arriving from the US; before I headed over to the domestic terminal for my flight to Napier. I spoke with my cousin for a few minutes and walked out to the car to put my suitcase in the car so that I wouldn’t have to check it in on my flight to Napier and back.

Air Chathams runs flights across to Chatham Islands but once every Thursday the flight is routed Auckland-Napier-Chatham Islands. The AKL-NPE flight is not available for purchase online so after talking to another a.net member they gave me the number and talk to the office person who could book the flight.

Air Chathams use the Air NZ Group check in; though there are no signs telling you of this. I checked in with Air NZ about 11:30am for the 1:00pm departure and spent most of the time near the arrivals area where someone had found the best spots for Air NZ Koru Club free wifi; with password of course.

About 12:30 I headed over to the Air NZ link area to wait for the announcement; the electronic board showed the Air NZ link flights but there were no flights listed for Air Chathams; another lack of signage for Air Chathams. I wasn’t the only one who approached the counter to enquire about boarding for Air Chathams; why they don’t have any signage is beyond me.

The flight attendant arrived at 12:55 and the flight was called. Air Chatmans use one of the standard turbo prop gates of Air NZ Link.

At this time I found that another a.net member from Switzerland was onboard just for the CV580 experience. I had been told by another a.net member that jump seat was usually available and when the flight attendant made mention of it I jumped at the chance. I left my bag under one of the seats and went to the jump seat.

Now because I was too excited to take get a picture of myself in the jump seat; I borrowed this one to give you an idea where you seat for the duration of the flight, this was taken on the 4-Feb-2010 the week before my trip.
7961681256047b6debf5b51f98d646fcad78c51f.JPG

It was rather interesting to watch the 2 pilots do their predeparture checks; what was alo good was getting the jumpseat head phones so I could listen to the pilots but also the air traffic control chatter.

The co-pilot gave me a quick safety demonstration of how to evacuate the aircraft plus a few other safety points.

The photo is a bit dark as I didn’t want to use the flash during the flight.

phplSljes.jpeg

What was interesting was how much the headphones were able to save in noise; it was a rather noisy aircraft. Pretty much I spent 40 minutes just watching the 2 pilots and watching the world go buy. The windows on the plane aren’t that huge so you don’t really get a good view of the ground and most of New Zealand is generally covered in cloud. What was of some concern just before descent was a storm just south of Napier but heading for Napier so the pilots took a more northerly track along the coast. The pilots did a good job of avoiding the storm as there was not much turbulence. We landed into Napier in the middle of a rain shower.

phpkVcfEz.jpeg

The storm had moved away from the airport but there was quiet a bit of rain about. I have no idea what the service was like in the back but I absolutely loved flying on the jump seat. As I had a connecting flight I was first off the plane and into the terminal.

11 Feb 2010
NPE AKL NZ8404 4C 204 Air NZ(Link) Dash8-300 ZK-NEF

As much as I wanted to spend a bit more time in the plane; I noticed that we landed at 2:13pm and I had flight back to Auckland scheduled for 2:25pm. There was a waiting Dash 8-300, so I knew I would be cutting it fine. I went over to the check in kiosk which then quickly spat out a boarding pass size note that said see an agent. The agent was dealing with a customer whose bags had not arrived; after they were dealt with the agent called the flight for boarding. I asked if I could get on this flight. Did I have bags; “no” and then he noticed I was going to Keri-Keri(Bay Of Islands) airport code KKE; so they were able to print off 2 boarding passes. So over to the boarding gate; boarding pass was scanned and out onto the tarmac to board the Air NZ flight back to Auckland. I think that was a new record shortest time in a terminal on different tickets. Lucky I had been there 2 months previous.

The flight was 28/50 so just over half full; a safety announcement was made and we took off into the cloudy sky; few bumps on our way to 15,000 feet where the standard Air NZ link service of water with a hot drink(tea or coffee) and a biscuit. Blenheim New Zealand was featured as one of the 27 New Zealand destinations.

I had mentioned the cup in the previous report so I thought I should get a picture this time.

php3hKv85.jpeg

It was about this time that I realized that I had forgotten my watch. I usually don’t wear one except when traveling and so I left it back in the hotel. I got the details from “tripit” software and transferred it as a contact on the iphone. Would I have enough time to go from the airport and back again in the hour between flights, really 45 minutes with boarding commencing 15 minutes before the scheduled departure? The flight was pleasant and I soon arrived in Auckland, I made a call to the hotel to get put through to house keeping, they advised that they had found a watch so I said I would come and get it; and trying to convince the taxi driver that I wanted to go to a nearby hotel and come straight back was no easy task as I was really still on the phone once I jumped in the cab. So after an 8 minute taxi ride waiting around for house keeping and back to the airport I was NZ $45 poorer but I had my watch back, and I still had 5 minutes to use the Air NZ free wifi.

11 Feb 2010
AKL KKE NZ8672 4D 130 Air NZ(Link) Dash8-300 ZK-NEZ

I was back in the airport with about 5 minutes spare before boarding to use the free wifi before boarding the flight up to Keri Keri(Bay Of Islands). The in-seat pocket had 2 in flight magazines. The standard Air New Zealand Kia Ora plus a magazine featuring Northland. On this service a water drink was served; the flight time is only 30 minutes so it would have been a rush to distribute anything extra. The flight was mostly clear and we landed at a very small airport. Another missed photo opportunity.

Friday was spent on a bus tour with my 2 cousins and their familes up to Cape Reinga which is the northern most point in New Zealand with the return leg along 90 mile beach.

Saturday was spent fishing on Whangarei harbour and an afternoon swim at a local ocean beach. Pictures of New Zealand on facebook for those interested.

Due to picture limit of 6 per post; Part B of the second slice below.

Last edited:
14-Feb-10
WRE AKL NZ2851 3F 89 Air NZ(Link) B1900D ZK-EAB

I arrived at the airport at 9:00am for an 9:45am departure; check in is with an agent; no self check in kiosks at this airport that I could tell; I guess when there are 7 flights a day on a Beech 1900D then the check in person isn’t really rushed off their feet. Passengers started to arrive and the plane from Auckland arrived at 9:20am for a quick turn around; the flight was called and the 10-15 passengers walked out to the plane.

Not so big in a Beech 1900D; with a person on each side; at least the plane is taller than a Metro 23.
3bc26da11753d02a7e9641e6cda42c0a72d9a4c2.JPG

It was a 26 minute flight down to Auckland; the flight leveled out at 12,000 feet and we descended through rain. As expected there was no in-flight service. The safety message was done by recorded message while the co-pilot did a walk through the cabin to make sure everyone had there seat belts on. Both the Northland and Kia Ora Air New Zealand magazines were in the seat pockets so it seems that there are Dash 8s and Beech 1900D dedicated to the runs north of Auckland.

14-Feb-10
AKL BNE BI0072 10D 1428 Royal Brunei 767-33AER V8-RBJ

After landing in Auckland and collecting my bag I walked over to the international terminal; I had considered using the free inter terminal bus but according to the schedule I had just missed one and so I thought it easier to walk. Having done the walk in the opposite direction I knew it would take about 8-10 minutes and the Royal Brunei counters are on the left of the check in area. Having been checked in I enquired about which lounge Royal Brunei use as I know they don’t have their own. This is when the check in person realized that I had a business class booking and asked me to go and see the agent who handled business class check-in and there I was handed a departure card and a lounge invitation for Qantas, yeah I been there before.

It was rather quick through security and passport control and up to the Qantas lounge. I had considered buying duty free in New Zealand but I thought with the time between the flight being called by the lounge and boarding the aircraft I would have had some time. If I am travelling at a meal time then I usually don’t look at any of the food items and went straight to the fridge for soft drinks. After my third glass I thought I should go and check that the lounge actually pages the flights. I was advised that they did and they even called down to the gate to check.

At 11:45pm the call was made to board the flight and so walking to the duty free area this is when about 5 passengers were called to hurry up and board their flight; to Brisbane, which included my name. The gate agent it seems had forgotten to tell the Qantas lounge that the flight was boarding. So no chance of duty free in Auckland I would have to purchase my duty free requirements in Brisbane.

Auckland international airport is now a split level airport; all departing passengers head to the top floor and you go down stairs to each set of 2 gates. Royal Brunei uses a 767 on their long haul flights. Business class is set up with 2 window seats 1 middle seat and another 2 window seats on the other side. I had one of the middle seats.

A pre-departure drink was offered of water; orange juice or apple juice. Royal Brunei does not serve alcohol on any of their flights.

The menus were also distributed for this flight with a choice of 3 lunch courses.

The safety demonstration was done in the usual way; nothing to interesting; once that was completed, pre-takeoff prayers were read out.

Nuts and a drink were offered soon after take off then the meals were distributed. Once I had finished the starter I had the main course of beef.

phpZtLimu.jpeg

You don’t usually go to the bathroom with a camera but you do on Royal Brunei.

phpf0KdwQ.jpeg

Shot of the business class cabin from my seat in Row 10.

phpdFITKI.jpeg

The AVOD in-flight entertainment system called SkyShow is inferior to other products offered by other carriers, but nonetheless it was sufficient for this 3 hour flight to Brisbane. I watched the movie Amelia on the IFE, it had been scheduled by Qantas on the way to New Zealand so I was glad to catch it on the way back.

The flight landed in Brisbane about 20 minutes earlier than the scheduled 12:40pm arrival and it was quick run through passport control as there were very few passengers ending their journey in Brisbane.

I am sure I will be back in New Zealand again sometime this year if only a repeat performance on the CV580.

Last edited:
As I said on Twitter, an enjoyable TR. And now with the right photos ;)

Edit: I thought I’d move my post so it didn’t break up the TR! ;)

The Frequent Flyer Concierge team takes the hard work out of finding reward seat availability. Using their expert knowledge and specialised tools, they'll help you book a great trip that maximises the value for your points.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

BB,

A great trip report except for the bit about the 'elderly gentleman'

I don't qualify on either part :!: :D :rolleyes:

I hope those gold plated accessories didn't set off the security alarms when you went through ;)

I had my schedule set before your schedule. ;)

I know those SCs on LAN are pretty hard to pass up. :rolleyes:

Don't worry I am sure I will see you again sometime this year. :idea:
It was not the LAN SCs as we had to go to AKL anyway. I simple could not justify the extra cost to ZQN from AKL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..

Staff online

• NM
    Enthusiast
Back