2024 F1 Thread

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

think the poor rookie was laser-focused on getting his cough over for the anthems, and just brushing past everyone.
Poor Martin lol

But of a semantic that mad max was ahead at the apex by millimeters when he knowingly braked very late so he must have known he would not make the corner and thus force Lando off the track.

To summarize Ant...
And since he was ahead he can take the racing line...he went off the track and got a strike, Lando overtook outside the track and got 5 seconds.
Max knows the rules, Lando could have redressed, he asked the team they said go on.
If he had got 1 more second ahead he'd be the hero now.

Max has been on the other side of the coin and lost as well.

Its a bit like a soccer player milking a penalty and later with 50 slow mo replays showing he wasnt touched, everyone can see how silly it is, and sooner or later the rule book will be changed. Just like with the fastest lap 1 point thing has been after RIC "stole" it off NOR and McLaren last race.

I agree it can be seen as unfair...but it was legal according to the judges.

Finally caught up on the US GP Sprint / Main races last night. Cracking race and great to see Ferrari starting to get it together - bodes well for 2025 with a HAM/LEC combo!!

Watched the Mexico GP live this morning. Another entertaining race and I for one was glad to see the stewards penalise VER appropriately. Both incidents were worthy of the penalties applied and he can probably count himself lucky for getting off as "lightly" as he did for the latter incident.

PER.... geez.... what can you say? I just cannot see RBR taking him into 2025 based on his current form (let alone the season as a whole).

Agree on Perez. Actually had an Ok qualifying and then is probably 1m forward of the pit box.
Unforgivable for an experienced driver

Definitely red mist from Max. Can't believe team didn't order him to give place back.
Wouldn't be surprised if GP had suggested for Max to hand the place back and that his suggestion was rebuffed (given the subsequent dry/sarcastic delivery of the messages re: each incident being investigated and subsequently penalised). Don't forget, we only hear what the F1 World Feed wants us to hear.

So MAX did the same reckless late brake thing as in Austin but this time didn't get away with it and was justly penalised correctly. About time.

Should have been done last race to even up the championship.

So MAX did the same reckless late brake thing as in Austin but this time didn't get away with it and was justly penalised correctly. About time.

Should have been done last race to even up the championship.
Not sure if you saw, but Karun showed a great analysis of the difference between Austin and Mexico to explain why the decision went against Lando last week, but in his favour this time around. It's borderline, but there were subtle differences in terms of being fully alongside at the apex. The rules of engagement need to be revisited, but given the current guidelines, I think the stewards got it right in both races.

Not sure if you saw, but Karun showed a great analysis of the difference between Austin and Mexico to explain why the decision went against Lando last week, but in his favour this time around. It's borderline, but there were subtle differences in terms of being fully alongside at the apex. The rules of engagement need to be revisited, but given the current guidelines, I think the stewards got it right in both races.
Obviously we disagree. See the analysis abobe. Max has been getting away with this rubbish for years. Just ask Hamilton and others. Time he was brought back to fair racing. There's late braking and there's knowingly very late breaking in the knowledge that you can never make the corner and will force the other driver off the track.

Max has been getting away with this rubbish for years. Just ask Hamilton and others. Time he was brought back to fair racing. There's late braking and there's knowingly very late breaking in the knowledge that you can never make the corner and will force the other driver off the track.
Oh I totally agree with this. To be clear, I'm no fan of Max and his antics. He is a very talented racer, but is often his own worst enemy. I like that he is aggressive, but his aggression does cross the line too often for my liking.

Mexico was open and shut in my opinion. No argument to be made in defense of Max. As for Austin? Just as your article suggested, it's subjective. Put it this way... if Max had been penalised in Austin, I would have been completely ok with it. The fact remains that he wasn't and the stewards provided their subjective reasoning for that decision (right or wrong). Today's penalty was consistent with that subjective view of the rules.

Like I said though, the rules of engagement need to be revisited as the current situation isn't working as it should.

The second incident in my mind was more like Vegas last year at the start, where Max ended up with 2 penalty points as well, even without a collision.
And made worse this time by not giving back the place.

That said in theory after the first incident arguably Lando should have given back the place, given he completed the move off the track, and then waited for the stewards to penalise Max, but then Max did the dive.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back