2024 Qantas AGM

Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Platinum
Star Alliance
Silver
Here at the Crowne Plaza in Hobart for the Qantas AGM courtesy of proxies given to me by fellow AFFer

Greeted outside by warm group of people. Note they are off to the left of the hotel entrance not blocking it.

Is that a ‘mangy marsupial’ reference, I wonder?

IMG_5913.jpeg

In the Hotel lobby security heavies and I was asked whether I was intimidated by the group outside. I laughed.

Inside the registration desk I think has been outsourced to the Qantas offshore call centres. But I eventually got registered.

I was given a voting machine thingy (looks like a Blackberry), but had to point out to the chap that I’d already voted but I would be happy to vote again. He said no, don’t do that but said I should keep the voting machine. 🤷‍♂️

Not actually asked to show any ID.

Last edited:
Called back to the registration desk while they did something on the voting machine thing.

Plenty of media here. Plenty of suits. Plenty of nervous looking people with Qantas ID tags. C’mon - this is Hobart!!

I have a question ready if given the opportunity. “Does the board intend to use the Qantas lounge at Hobart Airport on their departure?”

They'll probably just slum it in the Chairman's Lounge
Actually, I’m pretty sure they’ll use the Saffire lounge at Hobart Airport. Meant for guests who are going to be be helicoptered up to the Saffire Lodge on the East Coast but anyone who’s anyone gets to go there.

Actually, I’m pretty sure they’ll use the Saffire lounge at Hobart Airport. Meant for guests who are going to be be helicoptered up to the Saffire Lodge on the East Coast but anyone who’s anyone gets to go there.
Makes sense to do some "research" for the imminent upgraded Hobart QP coming in 2023, 2024, 2025, 2026, *ahem* sorry, 2027.

Expect the marketing guru director to have his last few minutes on the Qantas board.
We had a meeting clash so we are going to an AGM at Rydalmere.
Enjoy the show @RooFlyer.

Is that J as well? Or just the Y refurb that was previously announced?
I think she only mentioned Y. Might be wrong

Chair said biggest question from shareholders “ why no dividend “? A: using tax losses.

Q change in aviation landscape and impact on airline - Bonza, Rex.

QR investment in VA? “ Qantas not opposed to this”. Liberal aviation market. BUT queried the wet lease arrangements 😉

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Outsourcing of ground handling issues. Apologies, trying to get compo stored asap.

New Chair too busy in other roles? A: will be reducing other roles but can’t just walk out. The Ch7 journo also mentioned this issue.

Media being booted prior to formal part of meeting. Chair says he don’t know why this occurs. But everything on web site.

Qs from floor / online
* Non management staff committee with access to board.?
VH prepared answer :
mechanism already in place for that issue.

* Ask shareholders before diving into divisive social issues?
Chair: more consideration, but not out to shareholders.

* dividends?
Chair; fully franked dividend later this year

* 321xlr to replace b737 on one for one basis?
VH: touted 321XLR but didn’t answer question ( prepared answer)

Floor Qs
* guy who had microphone switched off last year by Goyder. “Ghost of Alan Joyce in the room”. Critical on board. Bit of a monologue. Getting tedious. Targets Samson. "We shareholders are cheering for Qatar". Going on far too long. Being indulged.

Chair: defends changes since last year. Declines to allow Samson answer q put to him. Three is a new team running the company now.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back