A short(ish) trip to Japan

The next day was our last full day in Tokyo, and had a day planned with something for everyone. We started off at Tokyo Dome, which is the home of the Tokyo Giants baseball team. We sadly were not able to catch a baseball game (missed it by one day) but were there to visit the batting and pitching cages. There’s quite a few of these around Tokyo where for a few hundred yen you can choose an automated system to pitch you a few balls at a given speed. These are popular among locals, as baseball is quite a popular sport in Japan. Mr ShelleyB had a go at the batting, with limited success. ShelleyB-son decided to forego the batting but had a crack at the pitching. We then played a VR shooting style game at the local amusement park, which saw ShelleyB son finish 3rd which considering the story and instructions were in Japanese we thought was fairly good.

Next up was Kappabashi kitchen tools street near Asakusa, which was packed. We came away with some ramen bowls and spoons, and although we could have bought more things decided against the challenge of getting too many breakables home.

At the end of the day finished with “electric town” in Akihabara where ShelleyB-son enjoyed looking at games and anime, and having a go at some retro games, including a table sized Pong. More gacha were purchased at Gachapon Hall.

As it was Friday, traditionally for our family, that’s pizza night. So I had booked a pizza place in Roppingi, Pizzakaya, mainly as it had an online menu and I could be certain that it had pepperoni pizza, which is ShelleyB-son’s favourite. Sadly though the pizza was only ok and the atmosphere disappointing as it appeared mainly the domain of ex-pat Americans. And the ones in that night were very loud and kind of rude. It was also the most expensive place we ate during the trip, with drinks in particular quite a bit pricier than the average for Tokyo.

Despite the slight disappointment with dinner, we had an excellent day, before returning to the hotel to start packing for our trip home.

F6829BA0-8B6E-4721-BE80-C25494876E1D.jpeg

16D7047A-E924-43BF-BEA0-17FF515E8422.jpeg

9BDE29F6-D3BD-4B2B-B8D3-E61455F51DFE.jpeg

F64E2F8B-B01D-49F0-9237-15E9DBDDB50B.jpeg

Attachments

• 1D590558-E8A0-48BF-8725-27E7E4D40390.jpeg
    1D590558-E8A0-48BF-8725-27E7E4D40390.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 2
Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

I generally have 3 notebook inserts at any one time, plus I have the cloth zipper refill. The leather insert looks great, but as you say it's very expensive. My notebook often looks extra bulky when actually traveling as the insert I use to record my travels gets very big with stuff I have stuck in. My daily journal is nowhere near as bulky.

Sounds like an excellent idea to travel to Kurashiki. Looks like a great town - we were hoping to visit on this most recent trip but didn't have the time.

Galen is big in the fountain pen community, their products are great but yeah not cheap....
My travel journal has two inserts and one clear zipper folder, it does get big with all the receipts and things I put in the zipper but nowhere near your picture 😂

I have been to Kurashiki but somehow didn't realise the TSL shop was there! Damn....

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back