A very specific query

Scarlett

Established Member
Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Platinum
The basic premise is that I need to get from Jamaica to the Cayman Is. I will have flown into Montego Bay (MBJ) and likely be staying somewhere relatively close to that airport. Destination Grand Cayman (GCM). Jan 2025 timing = winter in northern USA…

When it comes to the departure from 🇯🇲 there are a couple of options:

1. Fly out of MBJ with AA via MIA, but this is the most expensive option and requires an overnight at a hotel near MIA. It is however the easiest option as I’ll return a hire car to the same collection point - MBJ.
MBJ-MIA-GCM (~22 hours total trip time with 19 hours transit in MIA)
Approx spend AUD820.

2. Fly out of MBJ with AA via a cheaper (AUD200 cheaper than going via MIA) but a longer set of flights.
MBJ-JFK-CLT-GCM (~24 hours), with an overnight (~14 hours) at a hotel near JFK. Remember that winter ❄️ thing… the way my flying luck has been recently there will be the mother of all polar vortexes blizzarding snow all over New York!
Approx spend AUD650.

3. Drive my hire car from Montego Bay down to Kingston, a trip of about three hours and return it there for a one-way fee of USD90. Then fly on the direct Cayman Airlines flight KIN-GCM (1hr 15min scheduled flight!) for about the same price as the AA longer journey (don’t you love modern economics where you pay the same for a single one hour flight as for three flights of nearly 9 hours flying time!). Would have to pay about an extra $85 for baggage to fly with KX compared to AA where QF SG would see me get two bags for free.
Approx spend AUD740.

I should just choose option 3 as it gets me to my destination on the same day and doesn’t cost that much more. But there are some people who think even hiring a car in Jamaica is folly and there are some safety concerns on the island, mostly around Kingston.

The points and SC from AA are mostly irrelevant.

What would you do?

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back