AFF Cruise #2. Rerun. Crown Princess 4 nights 25-29 January 2025

Paid balance of cruise this morning.
Our next 2 trips are both AFF: Brisbane gathering and this cruise.
We lay low then until our big trip next September 2025.

I'm waiting on a new card to arrive (for the sign up bonus spend) before i pay the balance and book some shore extrusions. I'm also looking at a Princess Alaska cruise and trying to decide whether i want it in 2025 or 2026

We have also looked at a short cruise on Celebrity Edge in November 2025 but haven't done anything yet.
(Greetings from Royal Princess in Darwin Harbour)

I'll book the Nov 2025 cruise as well if it's an AFF gathering
We will not be available for November 2025 as we will already be on Crown Princess from Sydney to Singapore. We did have this booked for September 2025 however that one was cancelled and rescheduled to a November 11 departure.

Everyone is welcome of course!

Out of interest we are now in the port of Los Angeles on Crown Princess and sailing tonight to Auckland then flying to Brisbane to meet up with a rough mob of people for the weekend of 18th - 21st October. After only 2 days onboard our initial impressions of Crown Princess are quite favorable.

After we get home I will look at a group dinner option for the January cruise and get back to everyone.

Last edited:
Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

I'm waiting on a new card to arrive (for the sign up bonus spend) before i pay the balance and book some shore extrusions. I'm also looking at a Princess Alaska cruise and trying to decide whether i want it in 2025 or 2026
Having just done a Norwegian cruise in Alaska (Seward - Vancouver) I strongly recommend staying with Princess.

I see that RooFlyer has duplicated himself in Post #1. I always knew he was clever :cool:

We are booked on a 12.40 flight to AKL. With no customs or immigration most passengers will be off in a couple of hours.

Just to be safe I wouldn't look at a domestic flight before 11am

Just booking flights.

The cruise scheduled to arrive Sydney at 6am on the 29th. What's a safe time to assume I'd be off the ship, please?

They want everyone off by ~9 a.m. Bar exceptional circumstances, people should be able to start getting off around 7 a.m. and if you self-debark (i.e. take your own luggage off) should be able to get off around then if you want.

Without immigration/customs, and without luggage to collect, and as not many want to be off so early, it should be very quick at that time if that's your preference.

There is always the risk of fog/weather, or medical delays though. Very small risk, but it has and does happen.

They want everyone off by ~9 a.m. Bar exceptional circumstances, people should be able to start getting off around 7 a.m. and if you self-debark (i.e. take your own luggage off) should be able to get off around then if you want.

Without immigration/customs, and without luggage to collect, and as not many want to be off so early, it should be very quick at that time if that's your preference.

There is always the risk of fog/weather, or medical delays though. Very small risk, but it has and does happen.
So I should be safe with my 2200hrs flight to KUL? 🤣 🤣 🤣

I just downloaded the Princess app.

Is it just me, or is it incredibly buggy? Having to log out and log in every couple of fields filled in. Also "Error processing your request ... call 1-800-PRINCESS ..." (USA) :rolleyes:

Oh! I assumed I was seeing app errors because I booked the cruise via Luxury Escapes (for Velocity points). But now that I've gone back into the app, everything I've booked is showing up and the app is working as expected (as expected = clunky with poor UI design, but no errors)

Talking to @straitman yesterday about Hobart excursions princess are offering. Thought I would just give my own humble opinion on the various options, but of course this from the point of view of an older guy :)

January in Hobart is the start of summer, so days should be warm, could be cloudy and small chance of rain. You'd be unlucky if it was <20 degrees.

Before booking, we may want to have discussion whether we want to do activities together, or not.

Huon Valley & Tahune Airwalk (day) - scenic, some nice walks but bad weather would spoil it a lot.
Bonorong Wildlife Sanctuary & Mt Field Nat Park (day) - would be a very nice day, again weather susceptible
Wildlife & Waterways (day) - Same as above?
Mt Field National Park (1/2 day) - A very pretty National Park, easy walks (waterfalls, fern glades, rainforest) - good to stretch legs and then see some of Hobart on your own
Port Arthur on your own (day) - Excellent tour if you have an interest in colonial convict past. Easy walking around. Pretty drive down.
Tasman Island Wildlife cruise (day) - This would be my pick. It doesn't say so, but pretty sure its a Pennicott Wilderness Cruise, which are excellent. Scenery amazing along this coast. Possibly bumpy ride & cold, but worth it.
Royal Botanic Gardens and views of Hobart (1/2 day) - Very nice botanic gardens but if its cloudy you won't get any views from Mt Wellington. If so, hopefully they will take you up Mt Nelson where there are good views, but not as high.
City and Anglesea Barracks (1/2 day) - Barracks are an interesting collection of colonial buildings. Rest sounds like a bus tour around some nice sites.
Bonorong Wildlife Sanctuary (1/2 day) - self explanatory
Best of Hobart - Bonorong & Richmond (1/2 day) . This will be a nice relaxed tour; Richmond is historic and very pretty.
Tempting taste trail to Richmond (1/2 day) Very nice tour, self explanatory. Not really weather dependent.
Best of Bruny Island (day) - Described as 'epicurean', but other tours are better than what's offered here.
Wineries of the Coal Valley (1/2 day) - this would be a good one if you like white wines, especially
Hobart sea kayaking (3 hrs) - What is says on the label
Hobart Historic walking tour (2 hrs) - will be interesting and easy going.
Private tours - ridiculous prices. Make me an offer :)

I'm amazed that they aren't offering a tour to MONA (Museum of Old and New Art); possibly Tasmania's top tourist attraction these days. A great place to visit even if you aren't into 'modern art'. You can catch a MONA ferry from the Hobart docks and return. There are lunch venues on site, and a winery :)
Mona – Museum of Old and New Art | Hobart, Tasmania (click the hamburger at top left to make sense of it. Go to Visit to see the ferry timetable. Posh Pit recommended)
"Sit on sheep / tigers. Go to the bar. Treat yourself to the Posh Pit: a private lounge and deck with free drinks, tiny food and inflated egos."

Lots of restaurants along Hobart docks/Salamanca Place.

I have made a booking for lunch at Frogmore Creek Cellar door and Restaurant if anyone wants to join us

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back