AFF Gathering #17 in BNE on 18 - 20 October 2024

brisbane-18-20-october.jpg

We're pleased to announce that the 2024 AFF annual gathering will be held in Brisbane, the sunny capital of Queensland!

The weekend of Friday 18 - Sunday 20 October 2024 has been chosen for the event. As per past years, there will be a welcome dinner on the Friday evening, optional activities on Saturday and a main dinner on Saturday evening. There may also be an optional activity on Sunday in the late morning.

All AFF members (and +1's, etc.) are welcome to attend. Most people usually fly in on Friday afternoon and leave on the Sunday afternoon/evening.

Your lead organisers for this year's event are @NM and @QF WP. Other Brisbane-based members are also welcome to volunteer to assist.

We'll update this thread over the coming months with more information about the planned activities, dinner venues and costs, which we expect to be similar to past gatherings. There will be a $5 registration fee per participant, plus the cost of any activities and/or meals that you choose to join.

For now, please feel free to let us know in this thread if you think you'll be able to make it! For those unfamiliar with the AFF terminology:

• "Platinum" means you're planning to attend and have booked flights/accommodation
  • "Gold" means you're likely to attend but will need to confirm at a later time
  • "Silver" means you're unlikely to attend at this stage.
  • "Bronze" means you're unable to attend.

The AFF Leadership Team can provide support in terms of money collection and distribution, and editing this thread as needed. If something needs to be updated, please simply report the post with the update so anyone on the team can action it (starting a conversation only alerts one person).

We're looking forward to seeing you all in Brissie!

Last edited by a moderator:
The list of stations reads like Bowen Hills would be closed but the map looks like it'd be operational. What's the local intel around this, please?
Bowen Hills will be open, but trains will not continue north of Bowen Hills.
In fact the red (Ferny Grove) line will still be running but all others will terminate (with rail replacement buses outside the station)

So it reads that the track closures are from Saturday AM, so anybody arriving on Friday are fine.

On Saturday, termination of any trains heading north on any of those lines will be at Bowen Hills, from which buses will run to drop people at the stations/places nominated.

This is why we have 50C fares at the moment - the upgrade to the CrossCity Rail network is causing issues (but thankfully only on weekends)
There have been quite a few line closures during weekdays too. Quite a few days during the school holidays, and last week when I went into the Valley on Thursday there were regular announcements along the way to remind passengers that the Shorncliffe line would be closed from 7:45pm until last train of the day with buses operating services.

Speaking with our event transport provider this week, he noted that the rail line closures and bus substitutions have been a blessing for his business recently, as Qld Rail needs to contract lots of vehicles and drivers to cover the closures.

Speaking with our event transport provider this week, he noted that the rail line closures and bus substitutions have been a blessing for his business recently, as Qld Rail needs to contract lots of vehicles and drivers to cover the closures.
And I've been getting free rides on the rail replacement buses

No dress code but aviation related clothes will make you fit in perfectly 👍
Does this count. Handed out when the Dreamliner was introduced on the 'dog and pony show' around Australia. From memory the staff ones did not have platinum one on the back as I seem to recall an individual asking Mrs&MissM and myself if we were we willing to swap our caps with his.

IMG_8012.jpegIMG_8011.jpeg

Last edited:
Does this count. Handed out when the Dreamliner was introduced on the 'dog and pony show' around Australia. From memory the staff ones did not have platinum one on the back as I seem to recall an individual asking Mrs&MissM and myself if we were we willing to swap our caps with his.

View attachment 410385View attachment 410386
Yep, that counts ... but per a previous post of mine, I recommend trousers as well ;)

Hi WP

There are 2 of us attending (David & Sue) the 2 Dinners (Friday night + Saturday night).
What is required to confirm?
Hi David. I have sent you a personalised event cost summary for two people attending Saturday night dinner, along with payment instructions. Friday night dinner has no pre-payment requirement but we do need to confirm numbers with the venue and you are now on the list!

Welcome aboard!

Not sure which card to choose? Compare on AFF and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.

Staff online

• NM
    Enthusiast
Back