AFR Article - Joe Aston goes BAM!

The TL/DR of the excerpt is “The QF CL is an exclusive invitation only club that has members who are too poor to own a private jet and too influential for QF to use to its own advantage when necessary “.

Yes, the irony is that the PM and other important ministers rarely use it because they’re flying RAAF VIP.

I started to read this and it just went on and on. Joe must have been paid by the word. He does not know how to use brevity to convey a message or deliver knockout punches.
Its a book extract. Not a newspaper column.

The author, the book precis and much of the thread immediately bring to mind a famour Russian physiologist who's name starts with P.

Viktor Protopopov ?

Yes, the irony is that the PM and other important ministers rarely use it because they’re flying RAAF VIP.

I think the point that was being made is that Albanese in particular was cultivated during his term in opposition (and not the only one of course). And I reckon his son uses the CL, not RAAF? And of course while PM, the PM will have an eye on the time he retires.

Last edited:
Its a book extract. Not a newspaper column.

Viktor Protopopov ?

I think the point that was being made is that Albanese in particular was cultivated during his term in opposition (and not the only one of course). And I reckon his son uses the CL, not RAAF? And po course while PM, the PM will have an eye on the time he retires.
But we already know this. Both from the great articles that Joe wrote in the AFR plus other articles written plus just plain common sense.

I read the article in the Age this morning. He makes some good points and in my view public servants and politicians should not be allowed to accept a Chairman’s Lounge membership (or fly business class on a 1 hour flight!). However it seems very one sided, the Liberal politicians accept these perks just as much as the Labor ones.

But we already know this. Both from the great articles that Joe wrote in the AFR plus other articles written plus just plain common sense.

Oh, I think there will a bit more than in his columns; certainly more comment from past or present insiders. Publisher wouldn't be that interested, else.

Besides the Qantas antagonism, investigations about how politicians and major public figures accept 'hospitality' when it is a potential or actual conflict of interest should always be of interest. I mean, giving the PM's son CL access is pretty outrageous.

Oh, I think there will a bit more than in his columns; certainly more comment from past or present insiders. Publisher wouldn't be that interested, else.

Besides the Qantas antagonism, investigations about how politicians and major public figures accept 'hospitality' when it is a potential or actual conflict of interest should always be of interest. I mean, giving the PM's son CL access is pretty outrageous.
Yep I agree with you and I hope there are more bombshells.

The fact that the PM’s son was granted CL access is truly outrageous. The fact that nothing has been done about it is far more outrageous.

I think the point that was being made is that Albanese in particular was cultivated during his term in opposition (and not the only one of course). And I reckon his son uses the CL, not RAAF? And of course while PM, the PM will have an eye on the time he retires.

But they get CL membership regardless.

Bridget McKenzie has access (and declares it) yet is the most anti-QF politician in parliament.

I think his son got it as his +1 when he was in between partners. Not sure if that was ongoing now he’s got a new partner.

But yes the current PM has strong links to QF from his time as transport minister. That’s not because of the CL.

You're not allowed to have actually read the piece and understood it before commenting. That's against AFF rules.

Yep I agree with you and I hope there are more bombshells.

The fact that the PM’s son was granted CL access is truly outrageous. The fact that nothing has been done about it is far more outrageous.
To be fair, I think the 3x return first class flights to London for board kiddies (I'd imagine this is set value not location?) Is probably the most outrageous thing I've learnt over the past 24 hours.

Need to give AJ credit, sure knew how to play the long game! Mr Housing Comission sure knew how to leverage economy sale flights too..

'Bad Alan, how could you ground our national strategic carrier due to those pesky unions that our government is in bed with, i'm now in a real pickle with Julia and Wayne'.

You're not allowed to have actually read the piece and understood it before commenting. That's against AFF rules.
I read the article, (won’t buy or read the book). But axe and grind are words that come to mind not used in the same sentence.

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.

Staff online

• NM
    Enthusiast
Back