AFR Article - Joe Aston goes BAM!

If I commented of many post on this thread, I’d or get banned for political comment.

I suggest others keep posts to issues not an excuse for Albo bashing. Remember a PM who hid away in Fiji during bushfires? He and whole family were upgraded both ways. No influence of course.

But really why not. P1 and WP flyers get op ups all the time. Most politicians are actually P1 in revenue to QF so upgrade is normal and expected.

I guess if you want to be partisan you can have that view but we aren't supposed to be discussing partisan politics on AFF. My comment is relevant to the thread.
If I commented of many post on this thread, I’d or get banned for political comment.
It depends how you manifest such comment.

In relation to this thread, comment on specific persons in relation to airline relevant issues without being partisan is fine.

It depends how you manifest such comment.

In relation to this thread, comment on specific persons in relation to airline relevant issues without being partisan is fine.
But of course it’s partisan as usual of AFF.

Singling out Albo is political. At least be consistent.

I suggest others keep posts to issues not an excuse for Albo bashing. Remember a PM who hid away in Fiji during bushfires? He and whole family were upgraded both ways. No influence of course.

But really why not. P1 and WP flyers get op ups all the time. Most politicians are actually P1 in revenue to QF so upgrade is normal and expected.
The issue is not the op up. It’s the (alleged) proactive solicitation of the upgrades via a request to the CEO. All while being responsible for policy on the regulation of airlines.

I did find it rather humorous that JA revealed on the ABC tonight that he has Virgin Beyond membership and has held that “for many years”. Good to know he knows it exists!

It gets back to the basic issue. Asking a ‘favour’ from someone like an op up, when you are in a position to influence the environment in which that someone operates is the crux of the concern.

Most P1 and WP do not operate in such a sphere of influence. Those that do, should not consider asking for an op up but if they get one like others do then so be it. I’ reckon that the partners of politicians don’t contribute much to revenue fares.

I don’t believe anyone has singled out the politician you refer to other than discuss it in a generic sense. And others have likewise been mentioned.

Oh. Hawaii by the way.

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

It gets back to the basic issue. Asking a ‘favour’ from someone like an op up, when you are in a position to influence the environment in which that someone operates is the crux of the concern.
It definitely is a concern, but I think the unsolicited upgrades are just as concerning.

Those upgrades have value and cost Qantas money, even on a "space available" basis. Qantas isn't going to be just handing them out at random, they'll have a list, they'll have priorities and they'll be carefully targeting those upgrades. Like everything about the Chairman's Lounge it's not being done out the goodness of their hearts. Qantas is very upfront about Chairman's Lounge membership being "a commercial decision" and when it hands out those upgrades it'll be looking for return on investment.

Qantas has continued to do it, which would suggest that they believe they're getting value for money.

Sky are reporting that Tony Abbot was offered several upgrades around the time QF was seeking financial support (circa 2013) but he declined them all.
And indeed he was one of the ones that I was on a flight with.
Also on 3 occasions with Bob Katter between BNE and Mt. Isa. Once sat next to him. In his words he sat down the back because that's where the people who vote for me sit.

I did find it rather humorous that JA revealed on the ABC tonight that he has Virgin Beyond membership and has held that “for many years”.
I wish them the best of luck in retaining that status next year where i reckon it’ll cost them $50K in flights to earn the requisite status credits under the enhanced Virgin Australia. Won’t be too long before Virgin Australia answers the age old question of why it’s called Virgin! 😂

I wish them the best of luck in retaining that status next year where i reckon it’ll cost them $50K in flights to earn the requisite status credits under the enhanced Virgin Australia. Won’t be too long before Virgin Australia answers the age old question of why it’s called Virgin! 😂
Beyond membership is by invitation not spend amount or status credits.
I know a couple of people who are members and don’t fly often at all

Beyond membership is by invitation not spend amount or status credits.
I know a couple of people who are members and don’t fly often at all

JA said that VA use it to lobby politicians just the same as QF, they’re just not very good at it 😂. And that they “rue the day” they closed the lounge in CBR.

Qantas has continued to do it, which would suggest that they believe they're getting value for money.

And as JA said last night, all airlines do it.

So the solution is not with Qantas, it’s within parliament to set the rules and enforce them. We certainly can’t stop foreign airlines offering upgrades (cough cough). Yes they are all declaring the upgrades, but who was saying “hey Albo, this is a pretty bad look for you to be getting all these upgrades, why don’t you just book a J fare? We pay you enough!”

It definitely is a concern, but I think the unsolicited upgrades are just as concerning.

Those upgrades have value and cost Qantas money, even on a "space available" basis. Qantas isn't going to be just handing them out at random, they'll have a list, they'll have priorities and they'll be carefully targeting those upgrades. Like everything about the Chairman's Lounge it's not being done out the goodness of their hearts. Qantas is very upfront about Chairman's Lounge membership being "a commercial decision" and when it hands out those upgrades it'll be looking for return on investment.

As long as they keep spraying them to Joe Public then I think it's fine. Although my last op up (with points) ended with us being taken off the plane and dumped back in Y but that's a whole other story. 😂

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.

Staff online

Back