Amex 18 months waiting period miscalculation

jecec

I made a big mistake today.

I miscalculated and applied for a velocity Amex for the 100k bonus points. After the application and instant approval, I realised I only had 17 months because my previous cancellation. I cancelled my last amex Dec 2022, ~17 months ago.

Does anyone know if amex might make an exception? Anyone been through a similar situation?

If no exceptions allowed, would not activating the card, and not accepting the offer and cancelling my application, still mean I've held the card this month and I have to wait 18 months again? More importantly, can I change my mind and not have to pay the annual fee?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Or trying to get the confirmation bias they're after. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a post on Reddit or Whirlpool as well.
Ugghhh, whirlpool 🤮....

But back to the OP, I don't think you'll have any luck unfortunately.

I think you're unlikely to have much luck. You'll basically be asking them for the bonus points and demonstrating in the process that you've got a track record of signing up, getting the points, then immediately cancelling. That's great for you, but there's nothing in it for AmEx, so no incentive for them to cut you any slack.

Anecdotally there's a lot of chatter on Ozbargain about people getting rejected for AmEx and attributing it to their record of churning.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..

Staff online

• NM
    Enthusiast
Back