Amex Essential Reintroduced

PointsDude

Just saw that the Amex Essential card is back on offer, now with an 80k sign up bonus and a $9 per month fee.

Very interesting to see multipliers on different spend categories, something that largely disappeared when the points ‘enhancement’ happened back in 2019.

That's intriguing. And actually quite attractive, especially considering the low annual fee. For someone who eats out a lot (or gets a lot of food delivered via Uber Eats, Menulog or Doordash) it's a no-brainer. Might consider it myself, even though I won't get the sign-up bonus.

Can I still get the bonus since I currently hold Plat Edge and Explorer?
Unfortunately not. The bonus points are only available to "new American Express Card Members...".

'Annual Fee
$9 per month ($108 per year)'

Monthly annual fees. Wonder if that's a sign of things to come. Higher annual fees, but billed monthly to ease the sticker shock.

'Annual Fee
$9 per month ($108 per year)'

Monthly annual fees. Wonder if that's a sign of things to come. Higher annual fees, but billed monthly to ease the sticker shock.
Definitely have been seeing this across more products (Nab will start doing this with their highest tier card in June - switching from a $295 annual fee to a $24 monthly fee).

It probably intends to avoid not only that initial sticker shock but also stop customers having that second shock when they get their 12 month renewal and they just cancel the card to avoid paying that second fee.

Worth noting that Amex have tried the monthly subscription before with their Cashback card which I think was on offer for less than 2 years, so can’t imagine it was particularly successful.

Unfortunately not. The bonus points are only available to "new American Express Card Members...".
I simply cannot fathom why businesses do this. How much more effort does getting "new" customers cost a business compared to just making such offers to existing customers and keeping them happily on board? Surely it's just to make someones KPI's look good for that sweet sweet short term benefits.

Definitely have been seeing this across more products (Nab will start doing this with their highest tier card in June - switching from a $295 annual fee to a $24 monthly fee).

Most of the banks doing monthly fees are waiving it if the previous or current month's spend exceeds a certain amount, eg $15/month unless you spend $3,000 on eligible transactions. One such example is the CBA Smart Awards card.

Interesting that Amex don't appear to be doing this.

e: Also noted that it's now at 23.99% APR; previously was 18.99%

Not sure if I'm reading this correctly. I'm exhausted, so give me some leeway.

5x points on food delivery services.

Then 5x on top of that for the first 10,000 points in a month.

So assume a $100 purchase on Menulog. 500 points.

Then 5x bonus for a total of 2,500 points.

?

edit: No, I think I get it now. I misread.

The multipliers only apply as a standalone thing, combined cap of 10,000/month. After that just a standard 1 point/$1.

Last edited:
Pretty good points earn for eating out, streaming and major retailers!

Almost feel cheated with the Plat card!

It is pretty easy to get nearly 10% discount on Restaurant/streaming gift card at supermarket ( pay by edge earn another 3 points ) Also $200 TC booking refundable hotel then cancel it mean fee free card.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..

Staff online

• NM
    Enthusiast
Back