Amex Platinum Card 50,000 bonus points

Status
Not open for further replies.

YosemiteP

Intern
Has anybody else seen this offer?
The platinum charge card is already excellent value IMHO but this puts it over the top. 50,000 points as a sign up bonus.
If I was not already a member I would jump at it. Hope it helps others.

T & C "This offer is only available if you apply via this online form, are approved and make purchases to the value of $4,000 within the first 3 months of membership. Points will be credited 6-8 weeks after the 3 month anniversary of account approval. Maximum of 50,000 Membership Rewards Bonus Points will be awarded per Card member."

50K points for $900 is not good enough.... I wouldn't be doing it just for the points alone, although for someone who has been wanting one, it is a reasonable offer!

What is the Qantas earn option rate? I've seen it at 1.25/$1 spent up to $100k. If that is still the case I'll stick to the Engineers Australia Gold card, 1/$1 for 1st $10k the 1.5/$1 for the next $90k. As 135k points is > than 125k points no need to change.

50K points for $900? Not worth it for sure. Initially I thought it was for the Platinum credit card ....

Keep in mind that with this card you also get a free return flight within Australia each year, free membership to Prioirty Pass (unlimited worldwide lounge access), free travel insurance - even when not using your card to purchase the travel. As well as a host of other benefits, which are ideally suited to the frequent flyer/traveller.

Also beneficial to those who want to transfer to programs other then QFF

Unless you wanted to purchase QFF points for a specific award the $900 fee is too much for 50,000 QFF points.

Keep in mind that with this card you also get a free return flight within Australia each year, free membership to Prioirty Pass (unlimited worldwide lounge access), free travel insurance - even when not using your card to purchase the travel. As well as a host of other benefits, which are ideally suited to the frequent flyer/traveller.

Also beneficial to those who want to transfer to programs other then QFF

IIRC to get the 'free flight' you need to apply for the 'complimentary amex platinum cc' when you get a platinum charge card. It's a little hurdle but it's still free once you have the CC.

I'll stick to my QF Ultimate card though. 1.5/dollar with no cap and the free flight (for $250/year - special offer they gave me).

I think I'll take the Ultimate offer (50k for $450).

I haven't seen this QF Amex Ultimate 50k offer advertised anymore but I think it was valid until April 15 from memory - can anyone confirm (or post a link to the application site that shows the 50k points version)?

Thanks in advance

What is the Qantas earn option rate? I've seen it at 1.25/$1 spent up to $100k. If that is still the case I'll stick to the Engineers Australia Gold card, 1/$1 for 1st $10k the 1.5/$1 for the next $90k. As 135k points is > than 125k points no need to change.
The earning rate on this card is 1.5 MR points per dollar upto $200,000 that is just a little bit better than the Engineers card. MR points covert to QF at 1:1. So effectively 1.5 QF points per dollar, if you choose to transfer to QF.

Personally, this looks like a great card to have because of the all the extra benefits it gives and that you can transfer the MR points to a range of airlines.

In summary you get a free flight (due to the free platinum CC)
A great earn rate,
Flexible usage options - like the option to not credit to QF automatically and hence mess up their little direct sweep plans.
Free Priority pass - great for me as I fly DJ occassionally on price but will never get any decent DJ status, so gets me $30 of benefit every DJ flight I take.
The travel insurance
Free supplementary cards
Gold SPG and Priority Club
Plus the minor other benefits.

Now those benefits are currently worth at least $450 to me. So that gets it back to $450 for 50k points.

Just a heads up on this card. Qantas have removed it from their operational site. You need to click on the link posted in Mal's post (thanks, Mal!). I have been planning on applying after seeing the offer a few weeks ago but left it until today. I had a lot of trouble getting the application to load online. Don't bother clicking on the "we will email you the link to apply at your leisure" button that pops up. You won't get the 50,000 points.
I called Amex and the operatorsaid she thought that the offer was no longer available. I said, "that will be a problem because the offer I have in front of me states it's good until April 15." She then said that she'd need to speak to someone higher up & maybe Qantas... Meanwhile the app did load but it's very touchy & kept freezing. I'm happy to report that Amex did call me back & said that the offer would be honoured as long as the app is approved by April 15. It should take 5-10 days...

If you are planning on applying for this card do it now! They obviously want to end the offer early if they can & you don't want to get caught with:
a. The Qantas link disappearing altogether
b. The application form not working full stop

Of course, if they really don't want to honour the offer they may just decline applications. I'm pretty sure they don't need to give a reason for that.

Just a heads up on this card. Qantas have removed it from their operational site. You need to click on the link posted in Mal's post (thanks, Mal!). I have been planning on applying after seeing the offer a few weeks ago but left it until today. I had a lot of trouble getting the application to load online. Don't bother clicking on the "we will email you the link to apply at your leisure" button that pops up. You won't get the 50,000 points.
I called Amex and the operatorsaid she thought that the offer was no longer available. I said, "that will be a problem because the offer I have in front of me states it's good until April 15." She then said that she'd need to speak to someone higher up & maybe Qantas... Meanwhile the app did load but it's very touchy & kept freezing. I'm happy to report that Amex did call me back & said that the offer would be honoured as long as the app is approved by April 15. It should take 5-10 days...

If you are planning on applying for this card do it now! They obviously want to end the offer early if they can & you don't want to get caught with:
a. The Qantas link disappearing altogether
b. The application form not working full stop

Of course, if they really don't want to honour the offer they may just decline applications. I'm pretty sure they don't need to give a reason for that.

I applied for it about 10 days ago, and at that time, the link was already off qantas website. I had to use the link directly. I got my card late last week.

I guess that Amex/Qantas have achieved their quotas and decided to take it off the system.

Does anyone have the link (OP perhaps) to the 50,000 bonus MR points Platinum Charge Card offer stated in the OP post? I can't see it posted anywhere here and google is no help....

Thanks

Does anyone have the link (OP perhaps) to the 50,000 bonus MR points Platinum Charge Card offer stated in the OP post? I can't see it posted anywhere here and google is no help....

Thanks

My bad - colour of hyperlink and new format meant I missed the really obvious link!!!

I applied for it about 10 days ago, and at that time, the link was already off qantas website. I had to use the link directly. I got my card late last week.

I guess that Amex/Qantas have achieved their quotas and decided to take it off the system.

Did they get in touch with you at all? I sent the link to a friend of mine to apply and he did, It informed him that application had been received and needed review. He never heard a thing from AMEX for 2 weeks until the card was in the mail. Approved. No calls, no emails, nothing except the card a little over 2 weeks later.

Anyone else had this?

Which card has SPG Gold access.

I thought this had been dropped from Australian Plat Card?

Still thinking whether it is worth upgrading from my discounted affiliate Amex Plat Credit Card

Did they get in touch with you at all? I sent the link to a friend of mine to apply and he did, It informed him that application had been received and needed review. He never heard a thing from AMEX for 2 weeks until the card was in the mail. Approved. No calls, no emails, nothing except the card a little over 2 weeks later.

Anyone else had this?

They never get in touch with me, but did sent me the new card late last week. Normally they don't contact you if you are already qualified for the card. I suggest that you PDF the offer somewhere to ensure you get the points if Amex somehow forgot to give you the points.

They never get in touch with me, but did sent me the new card late last week. Normally they don't contact you if you are already qualified for the card. I suggest that you PDF the offer somewhere to ensure you get the points if Amex somehow forgot to give you the points.

So status quo then. Out of interest, how long did your card take to arrive from applying?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back