Amex Travel Queries: Flight Changes Possible?

Catweazle

Tried to contact Amex this evening but couldn't get through until their call centres reopen at 07:00am in the morning. The other contact numbers aren't much help. So much for a 24/7 service. I guess I'll wait until 07:00am. Also tried QF direct but, while supportive, they're not allowed to pull any strings behind the scenes.

Just found out that my father is in hospital with not one but in fact two types of cancers that have metastasized and rampaged throughout his body. Not doing all the best and...I think the final journey has started if you get my drift...all rather traumatizing and a struggle to deal with after so many other huge things to do with this year already. He had been diagnosed with one type of cancer back in April, but the rest is new news. He had some unexpected surgery on Friday and has been struggling since. His regular chemo session did not occur on Friday as a result of the unexpected surgery.

I have upcoming economy QF flights booked with Amex (having used the annual travel credit) MEL–CBR (July 4) & HBA–MEL (July 12).

Given the situation, and the fact that QF does sometimes have compassionate empathy in certain situations (when booked direct anyway), and the fact that we're supposed to have some sort of included travel insurance on the Amex Ultimate Card, what are the chances of them changing the dates of my flights or cancelling them for a refund?

First, I fly early afternoon on Thursday. However, at the earliest, I now cannot travel until the 08:20pm flight. Nothing shows up if I were to book this now via Amex's Travel Online, but the same flight cost appears on the QF website as when I booked. So, the fare bucket remains the same and technically does still exist.

Or, ideally, I'd rather fly anytime on Friday, July 5th.

Second, I'd also like to cancel the HBA-MEL leg and instead return from CBR to MEL on either Mon, July 8 or Tues, July 9. So that's a completely different flight. Option A. Option B is to change the date HBA-MEL to Tues, July 9.

So, a bit of a mess around. At worse, I get nothing back and loose it all. At best, Amex will change or else cancel my flights without cost. Well, that'd be nice but then, these aren't Flexi fares. Just normal economy, whatever that books as.

Thoughts on the matter?

In short, I'll be away for the weekend but don't want to stay away until July 12, as originally planned. I'd rather stay with my father. Should I instead ask them to cancel the lot given the circumstances. I could then rebook direct with a different airline if I still had to travel just the weekend CBR hop.

Funny thing, the HBA leg was for a few days R & R after lots of stress and fatigue this year. Looks like I won't be having any R&R for a while now.

Last edited:
Very sorry to hear about your father's diagnosis. It must be very traunatising for you and your family. It does sound like your best option right now is to call Amex Travel at 7am. As always in such circumstances of wanting to request changes, being prepared with your preferred flight options is always helpful. I do hope they are able to action the changes your want. All the best to you, your Dad and the rest of your family.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and enjoy a better viewing experience, as well as full participation on our community forums.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to enjoy lots of other benefits and discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.

Recent Posts

Back