ANA partnership with Virgin Australia

Hi All,

I am lucky enough to secure ANA flight from SYD to CTS (Sapporo) via Haneda for December using Velocity points Reward seat.
However, it is an economy class flight.

I read that ANA releases their business class reward seats 2 weeks prior departure date. Is this still the case? Will they also be available via Velocity to use points?

If it is true, I think there won't be business class reward seats for SYD-CTS, right? Most likely only from SYD to Haneda?

Let's assume I am lucky enough to find ANA business class reward seat from SYD to HND, and I called Velocity helpdesk to change my current economy flight SYD-CTS via HND to this business class SYD-HND and purchase/redeem a separate flight for HND-CTS, does it mean that my luggage will not go direct from SYD to CTS, i.e. I will need to pick up my checked in luggage at HND, then check them back in for the flight to CTS, since there will be 2 separate flight tickets?
Is it possible to ask ANA during check-in in SYD to send the luggage all the way to CTS even though 2 tickets are involved?

Thanks for your insights in advance.

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

does it mean that my luggage will not go direct from SYD to CTS, i.e. I will need to pick up my checked in luggage at HND, then check them back in for the flight to CTS, since there will be 2 separate flight tickets?
Is it possible to ask ANA during check-in in SYD to send the luggage all the way to CTS even though 2 tickets are involved?
Japan is like Australia, all luggage off international flights needs to be cleared through customs and rechecked in for domestic flights. Having two seperate tickets doesn't make much difference in this situation.

Indeed, the only main difference is whether you're protected on the next flight or not. ANA is generally pretty reliable and there's plenty of flights to CTS to rebook yourself onto (and they're not too expensive) if you misconnect, so I wouldn't be too worried about booking 2 separate tickets.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back