Annual fee increase from $99 to $300 on Citi Premier

EddieJ

Hi all

My first post *however joined a while back.

Just received an email from Citi/NAB advising of a annual fee increase as in title above. Seems many institutions are looking at recouping grandfathered fee free or **fixed fee for life CC’s.

I’ve had the card since 1989 and now occasionally use the card, emergency use only and 99$ per year was a cost benefit advantage to me. Now that I hardly use the card - a 201$ increase *albeit in June 2025 is another catalyst, jumped ship from 28* in August.

The 579,791 Rewards points I’ll most likely convert to Virgin Australia.

So should I convert to Citi Simplicity?

I received the same notification yesterday, however mine went from $149 to $300. It had been $149 since it was a Citibusiness Gold Card, which then auto-converted to a Citi Signature card around 2014, and then later auto-converted to a Citi Premier Card a few years ago.

Somewhat disappointing, particularly with the recent change of interest free days from 55 to 44. Almost looks like they want people to ditch these cards..

Yeap.
Not sure which way to go. The card has served me well over the years however, it’s not worth the 201$ increase with diminishing returns. I have a substantial credit limit which I’d like to retain. Will look at converting/downgrading to the Citi Simplicity, fee free.
No frills, but still get Purchase Protection Insurance and Extended Warranty Insurance.

I have until June 2025 before the new fee is charged.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back